Disable kick down

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

Hi guys. I have a UK 2015 F-Type R. Despite the dynamic + sport gearbox settings not forcing an up-change, it doesn't prevent the car kicking down if you accidentally go too far on the accelerator. I also tried every combination of DSC on/off/track with this and the effect is the same. Question is, what's the simplest way of permanently disabling the kick down switch? I realise I could just try to be more delicate, but my foot is made of pure lead!

Thanks all :)
MY2019 F-Type R AWD

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Chris,

Assuming this is a genuine post (and apologies if it is) then just use paddle shift and drive within reasonable limits.

If you're struggling with unwanted kick-down then you're not getting the best from the car and it's your inputs you need to improve.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I think I understand what the OP means. Is the below a valid example of what you mean?

Let's say you are in dynamic + sport gearbox so you are in paddle only mode.
You are on a single A road, national speed limit following a tractor doing 25mph in 3rd gear so about 2500-3000rpm roughly. Ready to overtake.
You go to overtake.

If you want to stay in 3rd gear you can only use 90% throttle until revs go past about 4500rpm and then you can go past the kick down and get to 100% throttle.

If your a bit heavy footed and hit the kick down part of the throttle pedal (you can feel resistance in mine and if you push a little harder it goes to the floor) then the car kicks down to 2nd which can be a little unsettling as you pass over the chamber on the centre of the road.

So you want to disable the kick down part of the pedal. You could on my previous Golf R via OBD port. Unsure on Jaguar but presume it could be coded out if your struggling but I would suggest be more progressive in driving style and remove the lead from shoes! :)
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ah, if that's the typical scenario I get it a bit more now - thanks simpleR.

Personally in that situation I would be a bit concerned if I needed 100% of throttle straight away - sounds like the window to complete the manoeuvre is very tight.

Already plenty of torque at 80%, but different driving approaches I guess. I'd definitely not be relying on getting the correct kick down pressure though - always on the paddles or shifting the trigger.

...never understood that in the f-Type launch video, other than artistic approach - why have 1 hand on the wheel and the other to shift gear, when you can keep both on?
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've been caught out once with kickdown in the wet from a set of lights. I admit I was in the wrong lane by complete accident as the road markings were terrible and faded and with it being wet I pulled away in 2nd but got a bit carried away pressed the loud pedal a tiny bit too much and hit the kick down and it dropped into 1st!! I gave up and stayed in the wrong lane and went the wrong way in shame.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

That's interesting - I've often thought it might be better to pull away in 2nd in such situations - apparently not then.

Thanks for saving me the embarrassment - I'll keep it for my parking and elegant exit from the car :lol:
scm

Post by scm »

Put a tennis ball under throttle pedal? ;)
Actually that probably won't work, have you seen how much space there is beyond the pedals? :o
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

scm wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm Put a tennis ball under throttle pedal? ;)
Actually that probably won't work, have you seen how much space there is beyond the pedals? :o
You'd need a bag of tennis balls! It goes on for days!
MY2019 F-Type R AWD
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Even if you can disable it I believe you could be creating 2 unfavourable downsides

First is if it cannot kickdown you end up forcing the gearbox to accept a level of power and torque that it’s engineers consider it needs to transfer through the box in a lower internal gear to deliver what you expect at the wheels. The whole system is finely balanced on engine power and torque curve, converter, internal ratios and downstream, diff ratio and tyre sizes
(Based on years of messing with big engines, auto, converters, tyres and final diff ratios to make Jeeps climb mountains. You soon boil the auto box or twist props if you mess up)

Secondly if you are happily trundling along in a high gear (paddles or auto) and suddenly need to really accelerate, (say to get out of danger) you can’t without manual intervention and will be a sitting duck.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

I genuinely never knew this was a thing. How hard are you pressing the peddle! 😜