Tethering a mobile

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I’ve searched the jaguar website and seen that you can tether your mobile instead of buying and installing a separate data SIM card. Has anybody done this successfully? Does it allow all the touch pro features to run properly? Thanks.

Deleted User 1715

Just found that my car should come with a SIM card already fitted and 500mb per month for 3 years, is this the case with anyone who’s recently picked up a new car?
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Yes, that’s what I was told when I collected mine last month.
MY20 F-Type P340
Deleted User 1715

Blueone wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:13 pm Yes, that’s what I was told when I collected mine last month.
Thanks, I trust it’s working ok?
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

All new JLR cars should now come with a "free" "Ubigi" Sim with 500mb per month.
Plenty of problems across other forums where the data is used up in a few days followed by a polite offer to buy more data at cost of course.
:roll:
A lot of people have chucked it and bought one of the data only "3" Sims which are reliable and pretty cheap (12Gb over 12 months for around £30 or smaller or bigger versions).
Or they have used the data on their mobiles if it's cheaper.
Just an example here:
https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7252
Deleted User 1715

PhilB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:00 am All new JLR cars should now come with a "free" "Ubigi" Sim with 500mb per month.
Plenty of problems across other forums where the data is used up in a few days followed by a polite offer to buy more data at cost of course.
:roll:
A lot of people have chucked it and bought one of the data only "3" Sims which are reliable and pretty cheap (12Gb over 12 months for around £30 or smaller or bigger versions).
Or they have used the data on their mobiles if it's cheaper.
Just an example here:
https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7252
Thanks @PhilB, I guess I’ll just have to use it and see how it goes! If I use mobile tethering then the car won’t be able to communicate when I’m not in it I suppose, so data sim is the way to go?
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

GusA wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:39 pm .......... so data sim is the way to go?
Yes, I picked up my new car today and the salesman said they hadn't had any of the Ubigi Sims for some time so I'm wondering if they are having issues?
I brought a new "3" data only sim - 12GB for 12 months for £28.
No registration, plugged it in the car and 4G up and running.
If your mobile company wants say an extra £5 a month that is £60 per year so a separate sim is often cheaper and a lot less hassle.
Deleted User 1715

Thanks @PhilB, hopefully Jag will see the sense in providing 3 sims in the future instead of Ubigi ones!
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

So did anyone come up with how to tether your mobile?
If I can use my, unusable 100gb data a month in The Beast, I'd love to know how.
I've a used F-Type and dont have a sim.
Tethering would be ideal.
The most data I've used is 60gb and that was tethering 4g to watch Netflix as my home broadband is slower than my EE mobile 4g.
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

Answering my own question, as nobody replied...Thanks to a YouTube post by a guy named Stuart who owns an iPace, he guides you through how to use your mobiles data, instead of buying a contract etc for just the car.

Thanks Stuart!
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.