Standard exhaust v straight pipe comparison?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Weeble69

Post by Weeble69 »

Has anyone seen a video of a sound comparison between standard and straight pipe exhausts on the V6? I can’t find one anywhere.

sebby1990

Post by sebby1990 »

I don't have any videos, but I currently have a standard exhaust V6 F-Type loaner on the drive. I test drove a V6S (ridiculous sports exhaust) before I bought my V8.

Given the reputation of the F-Type for being hilariously loud, the standard car sounds very muted. Even the girls and guys in the office said they were surprised how quiet this F-Type was compared to mine. There's no gunfire either.
Jaguar F-Type V8S, Mercedes-Benz ML63, Subaru Impreza WRX, Mini Cooper
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

sebby1990 wrote:I don't have any videos, but I currently have a standard exhaust V6 F-Type loaner on the drive. I test drove a V6S (ridiculous sports exhaust) before I bought my V8.

Given the reputation of the F-Type for being hilariously loud, the standard car sounds very muted. Even the girls and guys in the office said they were surprised how quiet this F-Type was compared to mine. There's no gunfire either.
What MY cars are we talking about?
The V6 and V6S are certainly not quiet (although will be quieter compared to your V8). New regulations have seen some software updates that reduce crackles & pops
scm

Post by scm »

Yeah, bureaucrats taking the fun out of life. Of course, these are same bureaucrats that want EVs to make more noise so they don't sneak up on pedestrians. Hopeless. :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

I have a MY20 V6 and it is definitely a bit more tame than before, at least on start up and low rpm even with the button activated. However when you pull the fuse for the valves it becomes a lot louder (approx. 30%) when driving it at low rpm which was pretty muted before. So this is a software thing and has nothing to do with the OPF. When you pull the fuse it's pretty much always loud compared to before where it really goes loud at 3000 rpm. You'll notice this too when trying to rev it on neutral as it always closes the valve even with the button. This was not the case for older models. It probably has to do with EU regulations so when they actually test the exhaust on neutral it's quieter than normal.
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Yeh 20MY have the new software as standard
A few have reported their cars coming back from a dealer service and being quieter - that’s because the dealer has flashed the latest software on as part of the normal ‘software update’ pack

scm

Post by scm »

That's why I take mine to a very good independent. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

dbv6s wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:57 am Yeh 20MY have the new software as standard
A few have reported their cars coming back from a dealer service and being quieter - that’s because the dealer has flashed the latest software on as part of the normal ‘software update’ pack
You are absolutely correct, one of my acquaintances drives a F-Type 400 which sounds pretty much like mine because he also has the newest software update. So the exhaust is actually not quieter, the valves just don't open fully anymore until higher rpm regardless of the button.

If you want the old sound, just pull fuse 15, this deactivates the valves so they are always open. It's pretty easy to do:

https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docume ... c/G2165930

You also won't get a message that something is wrong, only the ECU will probably notice an error that you don't see. When you put it back everything works as usual though.

Independently of this the pops and crackles are always there, eve with the new software. They only decreased them on the V8.
Weeble69

Post by Weeble69 »

dbv6s wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 am
sebby1990 wrote:I don't have any videos, but I currently have a standard exhaust V6 F-Type loaner on the drive. I test drove a V6S (ridiculous sports exhaust) before I bought my V8.

The V6 and V6S are certainly not quiet (although will be quieter compared to your V8). New regulations have seen some software updates that reduce crackles & pops
Year is 2015.
sebby1990

Post by sebby1990 »

dbv6s wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 am

Mine's a 2013, the loaner was a 2019. The conversation hinged around how the coupé looked better than the convertible (I agreed), but the 'vert made the cacophany so much more fun (they agreed).
Jaguar F-Type V8S, Mercedes-Benz ML63, Subaru Impreza WRX, Mini Cooper

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post