2017 F Type Convertible: Trickle Charger Install

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
chris901202

Post by chris901202 »

Morning all!

I have a 2017 V6 Base Convertible F-Type - currently tucked away until the weather improves.

I've got a CTEK MXS 5.0 that I use on my other car and seems to be highly recommended on the various Jag forums.

After doing a fair amount of reading it seems that the best way to use this with the F-Type is to connect the CTEK connector to the power distribution unit in the boot - full process outlined here:

https://howtune.com/articles/548-instal ... uar-f-type

All seemed pretty straightforward until I opened up my boot and lifted out the panels - I have a centre mounted battery (located pretty much dead infront of the boot latch) whereas all of the guides I can find have the battery mounted slightly to the left with the power distribution unit mounted to the boot floor in front of the latch.

Is the convertible significantly different to the coupe? And if so, where would I find the power distribution unit?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Chris

scm

Post by scm »

Do you have another battery on the left side of the boot? The early cars (not sure if 2017 counts as early) had a two battery system to support the stop/start function, later models dispensed with the second, smaller one.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

Check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3174&start=10

Positive on the red positive terminal and negative to a floor stud
chris901202

Post by chris901202 »

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated!

Looks like you had exactly the same question Paul, for some reason I didn’t find that post on my search!

I’ll have a crack at hooking it up this weekend. Are you just using the clips (one directly clamped to the +ve on the battery, the other clipped to a grounding point on the boot)? If so it’s a shame we can’t wire in the CTEK extension cable to leave it there ready for connection all the time like the coupe models!

Cheers

Chris
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

Yup that's exactly what I am doing. I don't know if there's a better way but this works for me.

I bought the CTEK because I was getting a low battery warning if I left the car for a week, but during the second service the dealer diagnosed a faulty battery. Since getting a new one I haven't actually neeed to connect the CTEK at all.
chicb

Post by chicb »

Chris901202, I have a fag lighter socket in the left hand side of the boot.(convertible) Really neat installation, no mucking about.

IMAG0435.jpg

Just plug Ctek into this, Car has been on Ctek for months, wont be used for another couple of months . Starts first time (well it did last year :lol: )
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
chris901202

Post by chris901202 »

Thanks chicb, I’m away this weekend but will check the boot when I get back. I’ve never noticed a 12V but to be honest, it’s tucked away so I potentially never looked closely enough! (Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’ve had that retrofitted)

I read elsewhere that the 12V in the cabin ‘switches off’ soon after the car is locked and therefore can’t be used for a battery maintainer. Assume the one you’ve got in the boot doesn’t have the same issue?
scm

Post by scm »

chris901202 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:12 pm Thanks chicb, I’m away this weekend but will check the boot when I get back. I’ve never noticed a 12V but to be honest, it’s tucked away so I potentially never looked closely enough! (Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’ve had that retrofitted)
Yes, you've misunderstood - that connector has to be fitted post factory. It's a bespoke CTEK connector, either fitted as part of the Jaguar charger install (megabucks!) or privately by a previous owner. It'll be wired directly to the +ve and -ve busses so unaffected by ignition.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
chicb

Post by chicb »

Chris901202, The socket was in my car when I bought it but its such an easy install its worth doing. Far better than a bit of wire with ctek connector dangling in the boot. I was so impressed that I installed one to my Range Rover Sport.
Bought the socket from Amazon for less than a pound, some red/black wire, 4 connectors & an inline fuse. Probably take another 30 mins to install the socket. Your doing 90% of the work anyway so for a professional unobtrusive look, its a no brainer. Socket can also be used for other things like attaching compressor for blowing up your tyres. Attached pic of socket on the Range Rover

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

Amazon socket has now gone up in price but they now include wire & inline fuse (Cigarette Lighter Socket, Enisina Waterproof Marine Grade 12V/24V DC lighter socket plug Outlet for Boat Motorbike Car,With 0.6m Connection Cable ) so probably what I paid for my add ons
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post