Touch screen crashed

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

Hi, I have had my F-Type Coupe V6 S from new and now at 19,000 miles the touch screen has crashed one week ago.
The leaping cat has disappeared and the Land Rover logo now appears, it comes and goes, I cannot switch the screen off, none of the buttons work hence no phone / radio / ventilation distribution / satnav etc. It has been like this for the past 8 days.
The car is a dream to drive, fabulous engine & gearbox, extremely comfortable, and sounds fabulous.

DDSK

Post by DDSK »

Mine did this from day one 3 attempts to fix it only made it worse so the car got rejected and I now have a full refund.
I was not convinced that it was down to just software

I have seen an issue where if you have screensaver set it can cause black screen. I also have heard that there have been similar issues with XE's

Good luck with getting it sorted
Tel

Post by Tel »

Did any of you guys try a simple reset?

I know it should be a dealer fix, but from experience they are pretty much out of their depth.

Simple to do - Lift the positive lead off the battery, go make a cup of tea. By the time you have finished it, go back and reconnect the power.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
DDSK

Post by DDSK »

Yes I reset mine to another Brand
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Had the whole black screen this morning too. Dropped kids at school (one at a time 😂) then went to the shops, started up again and nothing. Tried restarting when I got to a set of lights and still no good. Drove around the block a few times to check battery charged , stopped at home, restarted still nothing. Left the car in the garage, tried after an hour all good. Must be electronic rather than battery.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Not uncommon with the incontrol software.
It was known as the "Petrol station black screen".
People found that after filling with petrol the infotainment was still shutting down when they went to restart the car after paying.
It appears the time taken is just right to confuse the crap out of the system so it shuts down.
Later versions are better in that just driving will have it coming back in about a minute.
But earlier versions need a 10 minute break before they decide to get their act together again.
PaulWildsmith

Post by PaulWildsmith »

Ours crashed this afternoon, seems ok now. Was using Android auto for the first time as a map update failed, which leaves you with no map. Might just be coincident.
Married to a F Type owner (P300 2021 model)
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

PhilB wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 am Not uncommon with the incontrol software.
It was known as the "Petrol station black screen".
People found that after filling with petrol the infotainment was still shutting down when they went to restart the car after paying.
It appears the time taken is just right to confuse the crap out of the system so it shuts down.
Later versions are better in that just driving will have it coming back in about a minute.
But earlier versions need a 10 minute break before they decide to get their act together again.
Mine is a MY19.5 so not too old so is the change only in 20, 21?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Hammers wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm Mine is a MY19.5 so not too old so is the change only in 20, 21?
I don't think there was a change as regards model year - more likely the version of software installed on the pro.
It's quite a rare thing but people shouldn't worry as leaving the car for 10 minutes or so to allow it to shut down properly then a restart should get it working again if it happens at all.
My own experience was with my previous MY20 Evoque P300 which had software version 19B (and then subsequent updates) and that would fix the black screen itself after a minute or so.
ianp

Post by ianp »

Same thing here, if the screen crashes, leave the car turned off or powered down lol, for 15 minutes or so and it will reset itself.
F-TYPE P300 2019MY R-Dynamic, Santorini, 20" Diamonds, Climate, Park & Meridian Surround.
Pre: XE P250 2017MY R-Dynamic, Caesium.
Audio: Meridian 808v5, 861v4, DSP7.2k L/R, DSP5k C, DSP33 R & DSW 1500 Sub.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post