Condensation inside headlights

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Happened on mine after washing the car. Dealer advised nothing to worry about as it will clear within a few days which it did. Doesn't happen when I wash my other car though so does make me wonder how the water gets in. I only use a hose too which is set to sprinkle not blast so definitely would not ever use a pressure washer!

Looks as though my dealer was trying to fob me off. Very disappointing when it appears to be a known issue. I will be pushing for mine to be replaced under warranty as they should not be letting water in. Service due in a couple of months time so I will request that they order replacements.

By way of an update, I had my car in for its second service yesterday. The dealer showed me a Jaguar bulletin which advised that condensation inside headlights was perfectly normal and went on to say that replacing the headlights would not cure the issue. So, it seems we are expected to put up with it.

The dealer also informed me that spark plugs are no longer changed every two years on a V6S as its no longer necessary. I presume, since I purchased a five year service plan that included two plug changes in the cost, Jaguar will be sending me a refund for the two sets of plugs that I have already paid for? UPDATE - No they won't do that as service plan costs the same without plug changes so no refund due, according to Jaguar. Spark plugs will be changed in year 6 or 75k miles so not covered by service plan!

When I got home and checked the oil level using the dashboard menu I found that the oil had been overfilled. The owners handbook advises not to use the engine as permanent damage may be caused so now I have to wait until after the bank holiday for the dealership service department to re-open. UPDATE - Car returned to dealership and level checked again and found to be spot on. Very strange but pleased it wasn't overfilled despite the electronic dipstick indicating that it had been.

Not the best experience to be honest. My other vehicle has zero headlight condensation issues and I get far better service from the dealership - it's a Ford!!

scoobydoo2016-09-02 13:52:53
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!

antoine

Post by antoine »

mine stays inside a garage.
Jaguar west london park royal called me after servicing to tell me they took the "initiative" to change the headlights due to condensation and that I had to pay more £3,000 for it.
Chammers

Post by Chammers »

What *?&*!#
F-Type 400 Sport Coupe, Indus Silver, Panoramic roof, Climate pack2, front parking aid, rearview camera
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

mine stays inside a garage.
Jaguar west london park royal called me after servicing to tell me they took the "initiative" to change the headlights due to condensation and that I had to pay more £3,000 for it.

Well I hope you told them where to put that invoice!!

Sounds like there's some fobbing off going on whilst the warranty is running only for a dealer to use their 'initiative' and replace them when a huge invoice can be generated.

I think it's time for another trip to the dealers to get mine sorted before the warranty expires. If they won't play fair then my neighbour just happens to head up Trading Standards for our county. Get plenty of free advice and persuaded Jaguar to reimburse me for the spark plugs they never fitted as part of the 5 year service plan.

TBH to present you with an invoice for £3k without prior consultation is just plain wrong.
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

The condensation is normal - i get it from time to time - i did yesterday as it was in the high 20's here and the garage i keep mine in is cool.

3k spend without permission!!! They are pulling your pants down! Do not pay. If you already have then a conversation to sort it out, otherwise legal action imo.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Mine has the condensation issue from time to time. Will keep photos and present when booking second service at the end of this summer ... have already gained agreement to replace the rubber seal at rear of roof between the hatch and the roofline. Mine has 'sunk' on one side. Dealer was fine about it and suggested applying a rubber feed to keep the seals soft ...

Just for info ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
m_101

Post by m_101 »

Antoine WTAF no that is ridiculous. As stated here, the headlights are not completely sealed units and condensation is normal. Even if they were to replace them surely it would be a warranty job if multiple cars are affected.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
ludders62

Post by ludders62 »

Hmmm I had an Xkr before, it had condensation which the dealers advised would be ok, the bulb eventually went and I was informed it is a sealed unit costing £989 to replace. When I replaced it they put a breather valve in it. Definitely have the discussion with dealer.
bigknd

Post by bigknd »

This is absolutely normal I've had this on all my last cars that have day time driving lights incorporated in the headlights, so driving for a few hours the day time driving lights warm the inside of the headlamps especially when the outside temperature is cold thus producing condensation. As the weather warms it will disappear on it's own accord. Getting headlights changed will do absolutely nothing and the condensation will be back.

I was at a meet with exotic cars over the weekend and I would say over 50% had the same thing, it does seem more apparent now most machinery are running xenon's and or LED headlights that produce a lot less heat so doesn't evaporate the condensation very quick.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post