Audio Input - Comparability

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I have decided that the reason my F-Type doesn't sound as good as my Audi (Audio wise) is because my Audi never had Bluetooth and so I only ever listened to music from my iPod via the dock; whereas I have ditched my iPod and instead use my android device (so that I may use Spotify) which I stream over Bluetooth.

Bluetooth should be fine since I know that my phone offers high definition Bluetooth streaming, but my first question is:

1. What Bluetooth codecs does the 770 Meridian system support? If the Jag doesn't support the same codecs as my phone, then it reverts to bog-standard Bluetooth which is rather terrible quality.

I then considered using the Aux, as I still want to listen to Spotify; however I then loose the ability to control the tracks using the touch screen. So that leaves me with the USB.

2. Does anyone know of any way to use Spotify on android over USB? Unfortunately I don't think this is possible.

3. My other USB option is to load music on to a thumb-drive and put that in to my USB slot; can anyone tell me what file formats the system accepts? And you have any experience with this, how good is the file navigation from the Meridian system?

Joemax

Post by Joemax »

I used a 32gb thumb drive and to be honest I have given up as the player has a mind of its own and plays tracks when it wants to. Navigation worked fine but on many occasions when I switched albums the player goes on strike!!! Im convinced its something to do with the file architecture because when I connect my iPhone or iPod there are no issues at all. I transferred all my files on the thumb drive as mp3 as I noticed it refused to play certain other formats which I can't remember their file names.

She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

The best way i have found is to use bluetooth on android. Sound is transferred not the files so the quality from bluetooth is very good - i can play FLAC and all sorts of lossless files as its the phone that does the codec stuff.

A bonus is when your using bluetooth audio, i can route the sat nav sound from the phone if I'm using google maps or copilot etc through the car speakers too.

I use Poweramp as my music player on android. Just make sure you have a big SD card in the phone and off you go!
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

But which Bluetooth codec does meridian support? Atpx?
Standard Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for full lossless music which means the phone must compress the file first.

The only other Bluetooth option is a2dp Bluetooth, but that doesn't offer the best.

The only reason I want to use my phone is for streaming music ; if I had the files saved then it's just put them on a thumb drive and play them directly from the head unit.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Dunno - sounds great on mine though so i don't care.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
THOFF

Post by THOFF »

i have same issue - Audi S5 from 2009 sounds amazing compared to my 2017 F-Type (which cost over 2X). BTooth cannot compare to wired sound. I wish I could stream Spotify through the USB like I can with the Audi. Huge loss in quality. I still have the Audi and it is very noticeable.THOFF2016-10-25 20:17:08
Tall dad

Post by Tall dad »

Why can't you connect your phone via USB? The IPhone then gives two options via the in built media player. Or the INControl Apps music service.

If none of these still allow for streaming then I would download the music to your phone first of all. If the quality is poor you can bet your last Watt that it's the streaming bit rate and not the Bluetooth standard that is getting in the way. Tall dad2016-10-29 23:07:40
Italian Racing Red - V6S Coupe 2016 - Exterior Black Design Pack - Climate - Parking - Visibility -Performance Seats - 14 Way Memory - Red Seatbelts - Happy
Markku

Post by Markku »

The problem I have is that the iPhone keeps on returning to the Bluetooth connection for audio.
If I wish to get the iPhone recognised via USB I have to remove the Bluetooth connection completely, then the Jag recognises an iPod connection for audio, and then reconnect via Bluetooth for normal phone connectivity.

I agree with the previous posters, the music quality is much better via USB than via Bluetooth. Markku2016-10-30 00:43:26
V6S Coupe, Polaris White, Full Red Leather Performance Seats, Pano Roof.
ludders62

Post by ludders62 »

So my solution was to put a broadband sim in the console connect an echo dot to the usb and connect the echo dot via Bluetooth to the car. I now stream music direct from amazon / Spotify and I have the benefit of handsfree music and control of my home all by voice. The acoustics in the f type cockpit is so good you don’t have to have sight of the dot I keep mine in the closed console.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post