exhaust leak

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
rob550

Post by rob550 »

Hi all
I have a problem with water (condensation?)leaking from the rear joints of my exhaust (V8) on start up,I always leave the car to warm up for a couple of minutes before driving off and water drips out from the rear joints of the exhaust until it is fully warm the the dripping stops our Jag dealer says that nothing can be done to stop this, its making a real mess of our garage floor,has any one else had a similar problem.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thanks rob550

MOz

Post by MOz »

You can't stop it. Allowing an engine to idle at a standstill to warm it up is no better than starting and driving it gently to warm it up so why not start it and move it out of the garage immediately?
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
Tel

Post by Tel »

You can't stop it. Allowing an engine to idle at a standstill to warm it up is no better than starting and driving it gently to warm it up so why not start it and move it out of the garage immediately?

+1 I move the car out of the garage as soon as it's flashed up so that it drips outside. That said, I leave it to idle for only a few minutes before driving very gently until the temperature is up to the normal running mark. I wish it had a oil temp gauge as well.

They all do it V6's and V8's and it's perfectly normal. If it is a real problem, then place a cloth under the area to catch the drips.
It's a large displacement engine pumping out hot gasses into a cold exhaust, you cannot stop the condensation unless you have a very hot ambient temperature.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Colin W

Post by Colin W »

rob550 wrote:Hi allI have a problem with water (condensation?)leaking from the rear joints of my exhaust (V8) on start up,I always leave the car to warm up for a couple of minutes before driving off and water drips out from the rear joints of the exhaust until it is fully warm the the dripping stops our Jag dealer says that nothing can be done to stop this, its making a real mess of our garage floor,has any one else had a similar problem.Any help or advice would be much appreciatedThanks rob550
I’m fairly new to the forum, first post as just got my F Type yesterday. Just seen this old post - why is this normal - industrial and domestic pipes carrying water and gas don’t leak, my older XJ exhaust didn’t leak. Why can’t they just make a properly sealed joint between the pipes, am I missing something or is this a leak from somewhere higher up dropping onto exhaust bracket/ joint.
Here’s a couple of pics underneath my car to illustrate the prob
Cheers Guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tel

Post by Tel »

No, you are missing something.
It is not a leak from higher up, it's condensation that forms between the moist, warm air from your engine at startup and the cold pipework.

There's no correlation between industrial pipework and an exhaust system.
An exhaust system is not designed to be watertight. Better out than in.

If it's that much of a problem, do what I do and put and old piece of carpet under the area where it drops.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Colin W

Post by Colin W »

Tel wrote:No, you are missing something.
It is not a leak from higher up, it's condensation that forms between the moist, warm air from your engine at startup and the cold pipework.

There's no correlation between industrial pipework and an exhaust system.
An exhaust system is not designed to be watertight. Better out than in.

If it's that much of a problem, do what I do and put and old piece of carpet under the area where it drops.
Thx for the reply Tel - that’s a relief[emoji28]
I thought it might be a problem with the exhaust as not experienced this with previous cars (not owned a car with this level of performance before)
I’m not fussed about garage floor as its only concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arne

Post by Arne »

As far as I know there are holes in the exhaust made intentionally to drain out any water collected inside due to condensation. Probably done to prevent corrotion.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post