Battery Charging

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Leo's Big Nipple

Post by Leo's Big Nipple »

Thread resurrection...

Following on from another charging thread - looking at Bris pics above, would this be the same attachment?

https://unipartautostore.com/3-3m-direc ... ights.html

Really need to get this done somehow - it's been a week since my car was driven, and judging by the latest prognosis of my injuries it could be 3 months before I can drive again!
IRR V8R,

TopCat

Post by TopCat »

I like the way that fits into the side panel, I bought the CTEK charger from Halfords online and just checked and they have the one in the picture above in stock.

I would expect to be able the leave the car for a month with being concerned about the battery, I think short trips drain it rather than it being left for a few weeks, longer than a month and I would want to charge the battery.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Fitted mine today. Connected to the terminals under the boot floor as per the picture earlier on in this thread (i.e. not directly to the battery. Really simple job, took 5 mins. I'm using the Generic CTek charger I used to use in the Vantage.
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Daft question alert...

Have just fitted my CTEK MX5 5.0 A’s per the guide on here.

Are the neon indicators supposed to flash? This is without the main charging unit connected.

Would this not drain the battery? 🤔

TIA 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

ctek plug.jpg

If you mean the plug with the three lights then yes it flashes all the time even when fully charged the green light flashes.
Can't see this discharging the battery.
If it starts to flash amber - then plug the ctek back in to get up to full charge.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Big Bri,

Yes that’s the one. I’ve not got that fitted type though. Mine is the loose socket connector type thingy that you plug the mains lead into.

Flashing green/amber when initially fitted so giving it an overnight boost. My car is on drive so have run extension lead out of garage & that will sit under car tonight is plastic bag just in case with CTEK lead running into boot.

I take it there’s no cable trapping issues with doing that?
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

I have been using the ctek for years now. There is plenty of "give" in the rubber seal around the boot. There will be no damage to the cable.
Once fully charged it's normal for the green light to flash when connected and when disconnected from the charger.
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Slightly off topic, but kind or related...

My car is going into the dealer in a week or so to have a dodgy rear camera looked at.
On asking the receptionist that this will be covered under warranty, she said something along the lines of ‘well, that depends if anything non Jaguar is fitted to the car that could be causing the problem ‘

I have a CTEK fitted as per jaguar instructions i.e hard wired as they say it should be.
My camera issues were happening before the CTEK was fitted.

Reckon this may give them wriggle room to get out of fixing it?
IRR V8R
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

Zyp - I doubt you would have a problem. Jaguar sell ctek battery conditioners (but with Jaguar branding at twice the price) as an accessory in their showrooms.
You say it's hard wired as it should be and indeed Jaguar have a fitting procedure as part of their Topix guide so there can't be an issue in my view.
And despite all that, it's most unlikely fitting it would cause a problem with the rear camera..... Sleep safe......
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Thank you for helping Big Bri. Fitted & working fine. I’m not going to leave it only permanently, rather stick it on for a day/night after a couple of weeks standing or exceptional low temperatures.

Funny that I repair boilers for a living but working on my car turns me into a quivering wreck. I love it that much 😍

Thanks again for taking time to respond 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post