Battery Charging

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
howard

Post by howard »

What Tel has posted above has to be a misunderstanding of some sort. If you look carefully at the connection diagram for the Jaguar CTEK, then its clear that the CTEK wires are being connected to the positive bus bar on the battery side of the fuses and to the battery negative at the end of the cable directly from the negative terminal to the body. In other words exactly the same electrically speaking as if you had connected directly to the battery terminals themselves - the voltage drop in the very short cables to the body and the bus bar are trivial. I've confirmed this with a meter.

What would confuse any electronics would be connecting the trickle charger to the posts under the bonnet. Even though the cables from the boot will be fairly heavy duty there will be a few milivolts drop.

RRB

Post by RRB »

Does anyone have the instructions for a my18 convertible, looking to fit the ctek, panel mounted socket, but removing the boot lining the battery and other bits look nothing like the photo or instruction pdf that been previously shown on this thread??
2017 Black 400s convertible :D
Deleted User 1794

Post by Deleted User 1794 »

I'm looking to buy the connecting lead for my convertible, however web shop shows both M6 and M8 options, anyone know which one to get?
chicb

Post by chicb »

There is plenty movement for the wire when the boot is closed, so you have no worries there regarding trapped wires. My car has a cigarette lighter socket in the left hand wall of the boot which is constantly powered. Not sure if this was an extra. That is where my ctek is plugged into. You can leave it on for months as it is designed to do this. Ctek is in the real sense not a charger but a conditioner. It charges up the battery then if left on long enough, goes into pulse mode where it allows the battery to discharge a bit (but not enough to prevent the car from starting) then brings it back up. If you do allow your battery to fully discharge the ctek will not initially work. You need an old fashioned charger to put some charge into the battery, enough for the ctek to sense it, then remove the battery charger then connect ctek & it will do what its designed to do. My one is left on for months at a time & the car stars first time
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I think the M8 connector leads are the diameter for hard wiring, I had to widen the eyelets on mine when it came.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Deleted User 1794

thanks Mick
Deleted User 1794

must admit i'm a bit wary doing this myself, car electrics and me go together like a snowball and a radiator!

Dealer quoted me £100 to wire one in, and that's with me supplying the parts.
scm

Post by scm »

Sounds about right for a dealer's 10 minutes' work ... :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

RRB - Did you manage to get revised instructions for fitting the C2P24103 charger kit to later F-Types?
I bought my new Jaguar kit off Ebay and it only came with XF/XJ/XK MY12 fitting instructions.
I have an MY20 F-Type and my boot panels are nothing like the MY13 instructions too.
P300 R Dynamic, Caldera Red, MY2020
Deleted User 1794

hi, in the end i got the local dealer to fit it for me when it went in for a service, £20 for drink🍺

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post