Battery Charging

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Arne

Post by Arne »

That looks the business Big Bri. Very neat.
Thumbs Up

Arne... I'm not sure if you've noticed or are aware, but the charger units can get hot if they are working hard. In fact one of the thinks that kills these chargers is over heating. Because of this, the latest Ctek's have a built in temp sensor which shuts them down to prevent failure.

I have a marine version on my boat and when it's working at full tilt, the plastic housing of the unit becomes extremely hot. That particular charger has cooling fans built into it to aid cooling. Good air circulation is beneficial for all chargers, I think.

You are correct - the charger it self might get a little hot, though the one I have (when connected to the battery in the Jaguar) has never gotten more than a little warm.
As you can see from the pictures I have placed my charger on the outside of the trunk though, and another reason for that is that the wires from the charger to the battery are rather thin compared to the 230 (110) V going to the charger - so the size of the wire is not a problem when closing the trunk.
Big Bri - very nice solution Thumbs Up I just put the connector under the lid when I am done with it, so it is out of the way when it's not in use. But with your solution I would not have to remove the lid(s) to get started, so I like that Smile

Arne2016-12-16 12:58:04
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

m_101

Post by m_101 »

Do you guys with permanent connections connect the negative to a grounding point or to the negative terminal on the battery? I have used crocodile clips in the past and grounded the negative but not sure about the permanent option which I might try hooking up this week. Also not sure where I would be able to ground the negative terminal permanently if that is what is suggested.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Do you guys with permanent connections connect the negative to a grounding point or to the negative terminal on the battery? I have used crocodile clips in the past and grounded the negative but not sure about the permanent option which I might try hooking up this week. Also not sure where I would be able to ground the negative terminal permanently if that is what is suggested.

Neither. Connect it to the battery management system. It deals with both batteries then and is safe.

There is a PDF for the official jaguar charger floating around that shows the terminals required.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
MOz

Post by MOz »

I used Arne's method with no issues overnight. I'm guessing the battery in the boot floor is the engine starting battery rather than the systems battery??? Is this right?
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

I connect directly to the battery terminals in the boot.
Positive to positive and negative to negative......Simples!!......after all, it's the main battery you're charging....same as your alternator does.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

This is the way Jaguar recommend wiring in the CTEK.
It's pretty simple one to the fuse connection (red/yellow arrow) and the other to earth (black/yellow arrow).

Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

Did a bit of internet trawling - try the link below - with luck it will take you to the Jaguar link for wiring in the CTEK.......
Tel

Post by Tel »

Sorry, bit late on parade...at sea working!
It is important that the F-Type is not charged via the cigarette lighter socket or the jump start posts.
Firstly, the cig lighter option is a no go, as the system goes into sleep mode and it is isolated from the power once the ignition is off.
Secondly, due to the long leads from the jump start box (under the bonnet) to the battery and the associated volt drop that will occur, some chargers (those that are microprocessor controlled) like the Ctek MX5.0 get a little confused, and end of trickling a bit more current in than required, and never reach an indicated Full state.
Because the F-Type has some serious battery management software embedded into the Battery management modules, it is imperative that the earth is connected to the body of the car as mentioned in the TOPix doc that is linked above.
If it is connected to the earth post on the battery, the BMM acknowledges that the battery is more than healthy all the time (as it is seeing the charger voltage directly) and doesn't shut down some systems or manage the residual current drain correctly.
FWIW - I use the Ctek MX5. I have wired the comfort extension lead to the nearest earth stud and to the positive bus-bar. Anywhere on the bus-bar is fine, just make sure it is the correct side of the fuse! I then route and cable-tie this up the left hand side rear panel and out through the very small inspection hatch that is located on the top of the rear wheel arch (on the convertible). I just coil the lead up when not in use, and route it out over the boot seal when I'm away.
Been like this for over a year, and frequent trips away of 4 weeks plus, and all seems to be tip-top.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
MOz

Post by MOz »

So are you suggesting connecting your charger direct to the battery terminals to charge damages the car Tel (serious battery management software????)???
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
Tel

Post by Tel »

It won't 'damage' it per se.
The battery monitoring module gets confused if you charge directly to the negative.
Because with the engine off it expects 12.6V 'ish, but a charger puts out a higher voltage around 13+, so the battery monitoring module resets its "minimum" to the voltage that the charger is putting out.
When you disconnect the charger the voltage from the battery is lower, so the car will throw up low voltage warnings.

By connecting the negative of the charger to the earthing stud it's charging on the "other side" of the monitor so this resetting of the minimum voltage doesn't happen.
Hope that helps Moz.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's