Front grill number plate

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
PD1

Post by PD1 »

That looks much better, will investigate getting this done. Thanks

m_101

Post by m_101 »

Could you not get one with manufacturer details and correct size numbers? I had a quick measure and although a plate with the correct size numbers would need to wrap around the front of the crossbar very slightly it looked like it was possible to do it.
I might try it, see how it looks, and then could replace the existing plate holder over the top if need be.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Could you not get one with manufacturer details and correct size numbers? I had a quick measure and although a plate with the correct size numbers would need to wrap around the front of the crossbar very slightly it looked like it was possible to do it.
I might try it, see how it looks, and then could replace the existing plate holder over the top if need be.

It will be interesting to find out if anyone can get a fully legal plate made up that is a flexible stick-on one. I have the impression that you can't get them anymore....not legal ones...but in any case, if the layout is done to the standard legal format, sticking one on as you have described, still wouldn't be legal because at least part of the 'plate' would be curving around the extremities of the plastic grille/bar.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

For those that have removed the plate in favour of the stick on variety (which I dont mind), how have you addressed the holes I presume are left on display once the holder is removed from the central bar in the grille?
And secondly, given the Americans dont have to wear a plate in some states, do they have cars delivered with nice clean black plastic that has no holes in it (apart from sensor locations?) Could these be used to refresh the front of our cars?
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
PaulMc

Post by PaulMc »

For those that have removed the plate in favour of the stick on variety (which I dont mind), how have you addressed the holes I presume are left on display once the holder is removed from the central bar in the grille?
And secondly, given the Americans dont have to wear a plate in some states, do they have cars delivered with nice clean black plastic that has no holes in it (apart from sensor locations?) Could these be used to refresh the front of our cars?

Top of page 3 answers your question.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Oh.. and yes holes have been left on the plastic. Not too noticeable, but local dealer quoted around £120ish for a new plastic cover - I'll get around to swapping out for this summer :)

Paul Mc,
Thanx for the reply, Id missed that point ...
Is the price for the gloss that you have already on your car please? And does this require the bumper to come off would you know?
regards, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
PaulMc

Post by PaulMc »

The price is for the new gloss plastic 'shield/cover' part. I have yet to replace mine and purchase the new part, but I am led to believe you do not need to remove the whole bumper to change.
Pop into your local dealer and they will have a cutaway schematic of how it is fitted and current price.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Made the time to pop in to the local dealer and ask about the centre beam cover.
On the Jaguar parts system Im told it only lists as a complete set to include the grille surround, and that the listing is for the V8. However, my friendly parts man said he is happy to order just the cross beam for me. Just need to work out how to remove the standard 'matt' finish item
I also received some of the parts to update the front and dump that plate, but have an easy way yo install for petrol stations etc. Once I have the gloss black trim and a new plate I shall update with my new look
regards, Paul
Tel

Post by Tel »

Couple of small rubber bungs/plugs to fill the existing holes then, save yourself the agro and cost...cover the cross beam with Piano Black wrap.
So long as you plate has the legal font, the BSAU markings and dealer/supplier postcode, then trim the edges down to 11mm to get rid of the excess 'white' plastic, I'd go for a mount on the lower spoiler just above the front lower rubber sacrificial trim. Pick up on a couple of the mounting holes for this.
Just be careful to aide the airflow, not block it of course!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Tel

Post by Tel »

I also received some of the parts to update the front and dump that plate, but have an easy way yo install for petrol stations etc. Once I have the gloss black trim and a new plate I shall update with my new look
regards, Paul

Paul, I'm waiting interestingly to see your Sto 'n Sho when you get it....
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩