Front grill number plate

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Good evening,

Have seen an white F-Type with its front number plate displayed above the front grill, on the panel in front of the bonnet. The plate has been made as a sticker, rally cat style.

I think this looks great & shows off the aggressive front grill more effectively.

Has anyone else seen this? Does he standard grill have a removable section where the plate attaches?

Merry Christmas everyone!
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

captainham

Post by captainham »

I think you'll find that the standard front mount is screwed into the bar running across the grill, so if you remove it, you'll have holes left behind.

I've also pondered if those adhesive plates are legal...I doubt it tbh, but haven't bothered investigating to be fair.
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Thank you captainham. Have just spent a few minutes researching the legality of these.

Bit of a grey area tbh. Bit like driving 80mph down the motorway.

Plate will be correctly spaced letters, fonts etc.

Now wonder if a MOT flag?

Might not bother!
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
captainham

Post by captainham »

They might be ok actually, as long as it meets all the requirements in section 6/7 of this guide here:

F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
Tall dad

Post by Tall dad »

Part 6 states that the plate must be placed vertically if this is possible.
There are also strict criteria for construction of the plate and stickers which are not the right dimensions and flat don't conform.

I would be inclined to suggest that a pedantic officer could throw a £1,000 fine on you.

Older cars can get away with it as there are provisions for car before a specified date.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/pdfs/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

Just had another read. It must be easily readable from 21 metres away. A horizontal plate isn't unless you live in a high rise! Tall dad2016-12-21 09:15:53
Italian Racing Red - V6S Coupe 2016 - Exterior Black Design Pack - Climate - Parking - Visibility -Performance Seats - 14 Way Memory - Red Seatbelts - Happy
Tel

Post by Tel »

Having just read the legislation, I'm considering removing the excess yellow at the right and left hand edges now to 11mm. With only 5 letters on the plate it might look quite cool?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

This is exactly what I did. You can get the exact plates to suit the car from Four Dots. They are, however, outrageously expensive!
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I think a sticker plate on that part of the bodywork would ruin the looks. Agree it would look better without a plate at all but I think the position of the plate on the middle of the "mouth" is fine.

I appreciate a car designer that thinks about that in their design... I'm not saying it's the most critical part of car design of course but always find it a bit weird looking when some rather expensive and exotic supercars have their looks ruined by weird number plate placement (off to the side, stuck on the bonnet, etc).
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
QWERTY

Post by QWERTY »

I have considered replacing my front number plate, like the OP with an adhesive number plate It is, after all, just as our F-type's forebears, the E-Types, used to display theirs. Most, if not all E-Types, still do to this day. I know it doesn't comply with "the law" and I'm a renegade...which is why I sometimes drive faster than the speed limit Wink
In most of the US states, front number plates are not legally required and their cars look so much better for it IMO (having lived there previously for 17 years).
ridgeracer

Post by ridgeracer »

If I knew how to post a picture on here i would show you mine i took the plate off the front and stuck it on the nose looks much better never been stopped
F Type V8R "Straight up Redneck Rager"

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post