Coupe stereo sound quality finally sorted

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
captainham

Post by captainham »

Just got my car back after getting the Meridian audio bulletin applied (JTB00537v2), and I'm delighted to say that I'm finally much happier with the sound quality.

It's not going to win any awards, granted, but it's a significant improvement to the boomy rubbish I was getting before. I can finally stop grumping about how much the previously naff audio upgrade cost me.

Highly recommended for any coupe owners who have even a minor grumble with the sound quality.

Note: the bulletin is called "buzzing sound coming from tweeters"; I did NOT have a buzzing sound, but I knew from another forum that this bulletin applied an audio profile more suited to the coupe, so I insisted that the dealer apply it anyway. Don't let your dealer fob you off if you ask for it to be applied, it's much bigger than a mere buzzing sound that you may or may not have!captainham2017-03-28 09:30:52
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

Arne

Post by Arne »

That is good to hear.
I have been rather ok with my Meridian, but have still booked it in for the upgrade on Friday. I was also told that as long as it is within the warranty periode, this Upgrade is covered by the warranty. However if it is after the warranty periode, this kind of bulletin is not covered anymore, and you will have to pay to get it done.
My 3 years warranty expires 4. april next month, so that's another reason for why I am doing it now Wink
Looking forward to see (hear...) if there are any noticable changes for me. I am not exactly an "audiophile" but enjoy lissening to music specially on longer trips.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Yousif

Post by Yousif »

Does this apply to both the 380w and 770w? I was also thinking the acoustics of the coupe and the convertible must be quite different.

I noticed that using Spotify onscreen app gives much better sound quality than anything else I have tried, even the radio it seems. Trouble is its very difficult to compare like with like.
F Type 3.0V6 auto, Caldera Red, 20" Turbines, parking, visibility packs, heated steering, seats, keyless entry, folding mirrors, red seat belts.
Arne

Post by Arne »

The technical Bulletin says:

Coupe vehicles only.

Only applicable to vehicles fitted with Premium 700 watt systems.

The Reference to a 700 watt system must be wrong, but I am pretty shure it means that it only applies to the 770 watt system.

Arne2017-03-28 10:41:55
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Thats interesting - i wonder if they developed it all for the convertible (which was developed first anyway) and then didn't bother tweaking it for the coupe?

2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Blade_76

Post by Blade_76 »

I'm finding that I get the best sound from the Meridian setting, rather than the surround etc..

Treble up high, bass and sub just over half way, sounds pretty good to me.
2017 - xxxx - Jaguar F Type S
2014 - 2017 - TT RS Plus Roadster
2011 - 2013 - R8 V8 Coupe
2007 - 2011 - Mk II TT Roadster
2006 - 2007 - Boxster 3.2S
2004 - 2006 - Mk I TT Roadster 265BHP
captainham

Post by captainham »

I'm finding that I get the best sound from the Meridian setting, rather than the surround etc..

Since the update, I prefer Dolby; sound really does surround me in that setting, rather than being centrally "centre stage" focused with the Meridian setting.
captainham

Post by captainham »

Thats interesting - i wonder if they developed it all for the convertible (which was developed first anyway) and then didn't bother tweaking it for the coupe?

That most definitely seems to be the case. And even Jag CRC don't really know about it (apart from me harping on at them recently), you just have to be "in the know", which is disappointing in my view.captainham2017-03-28 12:20:16
Blade_76

Post by Blade_76 »

Since the update, I prefer Dolby; sound really does surround me in that setting, rather than being centrally "centre stage" focused with the Meridian setting.

Thanks for the heads up, I will ask if this has been carried out on mine
2017 - xxxx - Jaguar F Type S
2014 - 2017 - TT RS Plus Roadster
2011 - 2013 - R8 V8 Coupe
2007 - 2011 - Mk II TT Roadster
2006 - 2007 - Boxster 3.2S
2004 - 2006 - Mk I TT Roadster 265BHP
Arne

Post by Arne »

Just got mine back from having the software mod/upgrade done. I thought it was ok as it was, but now I think it sounds great! More dynamic and "clean" sound with a good punch to it. Had to make some changes in the settings, which (in Dolby or DTS mode) ended up close to neutral with a slight increase in the sub setting. Dolby and DTS sounds very much the same now (the difference was more noticable before). Meridian mode is still too centered to my taste.

Absolutely worth doing and big thanks to everyone who has pushed on to make this happen!

The service tech. told me that he had also had the DAB / Bluetooth upgrade "thing" done - just to be on the safe side. They are very service minded and I can't recommend them enough!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post