Engine ticking sound when idle

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Pritchard

Post by Pritchard »

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Sounds normal to me .. remember these engines do not have hydraulic tappets, they are shimmed so always a little more racket .. plus there is a vacuum pump / 2 mechanical Bosch high pressure fuel pumps ... the super charger .. then all those pulleys and idler tensioners .. alternator and finally the injectors as well as these are direct injection so again some more racket then is normal

thats a lot whirring away ..
Deleted User 1088

Hello .. old thread I know

But on cold start up I have the ticking tappety sound .. that after a 5 mins and when the engine gets warm goes away

the same as the thread below (my car has covered 1200 miles)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... up-168423/

Just wondered how other forum members have the same ? and was there any fault or just normal ?

regards
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Mine was the supercharger belt threading itself (I think I posted that here?)
Definitely happy I got that fixed! There's a redesigned bracket to stop this happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
Deleted User 1088

SammyV6S wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 pm Mine was the supercharger belt threading itself (I think I posted that here?)
Definitely happy I got that fixed! There's a redesigned bracket to stop this happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks SammyV6S .. I did read your posts
LarmiqFType

Post by LarmiqFType »

I know it's been a good few months but my v6s has started making a weird ticking sound all of a sudden. I've only had it a few weeks and it was really quiet on startup but it now happens on every cold start. Once the car is warm it fades.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8APGyf4cz8cS19JE6

Has anyone that experienced ticks had it this loud?
It rises and falls with engine speed. (Faster then slower clicking)
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My 400 Sport MY18 is a bit ticky tap tap on cold start. Always has been.
It slowly disappears as the engine reaches normal operating temperature on the temp gauge after about 2 or 3 minutes. Slightly longer when it's cold and slightly less when it's a warm day. Less noticeable if switchable active exhaust is open obviously.
If the tapping continues when warm or gets louder when rev'ed I would mention to dealer.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
SESH

Post by SESH »

Had the same issue with my V6S MY 2016 done 12000 miles. Booked it into main dealer for investigation. They assured me it was normal for this engine. Just hope they know what they are talking about!
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
Deleted User 1088

Hello ..

Mine does it when cold, but soon disappears when engine warm .. also my XES was exactly the same .. plus all my BMW Z4 M made a racket
all down to the use of solid lifters (tappets)
LarmiqFType

Post by LarmiqFType »

Currently I'm waiting for jaguar to contact the dealer I bought it from as my local dealership have condemned the supercharger so about 2.5 k worth of work. We shall soon see how that jaguar approved warranty works! Any info people can offer is appreciated!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post