Engine ticking sound when idle

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
albanfoley

Post by albanfoley »

Hi All.

2017 Model V6 340PS Convertible in Caldera Red with Cirrus leather, 19 inch Propeller Alloys wheels , Cruise, Active Spoorts Exhaust , Front Parking and Rear Camera, Winter Pack and Two Zone Climate control.

I also have ticking noise . Sounds like a Diesel or perhaps badly adjusted Tappets ! Can supply Video if required.

I was told at the First Service (1780 Miles ) last week that it was, and I quote "The Fuel Pumps". How do Fuel pumps tick and why does it reduce after a couple of miles of driving?

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Fuel pumps ... interesting

The fuel pumps (there are 2) these would be the high pressure pumps which are cam operated .. so purely mechanical
they have a dedicated cam shaft ( 2 lobes) near the bottom of the engine that when rotate push the pump plungers ..

I would not dismiss this yet as could be possible, as all these ticking noises (including my new XES) had this characteristic so surely can not all be faulty ?

I will investigate some more
mpangborn1

Post by mpangborn1 »

Hi all, I have an 2014 V6S coupe, after a couple of years the ticking noise developed, it was indeed both of the fuel pumps which required replacing (along with the entire rear exhaust which had developed a death rattle), bit dissapointing to think that the problem which must have been evident on early cars is still an issue. The pumps come from Germany by the way.
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

Hi, thanks for the information. Mine has also already had the rear exhaust replaced due to a progressive rattle.

What happened when the pumps were replaced? No ticking or was it just reduced to what you would call residual noise?
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Good news jaguar have agreed to replace the engine at no cost to my self should get it back next week miss can order the velar now so she is happy
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Squiddy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 pm Good news jaguar have agreed to replace the engine at no cost to my self should get it back next week miss can order the velar now so she is happy
I would love to know what the issue / cause is :?:
Myer

Post by Myer »

I too experienced a ticking / tappet sound on idle, more pronounced from cold. I had supplied the Castrol oil to my dealer last year Castrol Edge synthetic 5W30.
This week the car was in for its annual service and the dealer supplied the oil Castrol Edge synthetic 0W20, only available to Jaguar dealers. Guess what the tappet ticking has gone!
Prior to booking the car in for service I telephoned Castrol's technical department and I was surprised to be advised that the 5W30, was not recommended for the Jaguar 5.0 V8 engine.
So by being a cheapskate I suffered a ticking sound for 12 months. Make sure that your service dealer uses 0W20!!
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

Squiddy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 pm Good news jaguar have agreed to replace the engine at no cost to my self should get it back next week miss can order the velar now so she is happy
Great to hear Squiddy! Hope you get to enjoy it when you finally get it back!
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Jaguar have mine now - turns out the noise was the supercharger belt threading itself against the pulley bracket

There's a service bulletin about the issue, so they are replacing both the bracket and the pulley.
Said it was good I discovered it now - could have made a big mess
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
Pritchard

Post by Pritchard »

WOOOW i didnt know this thread existed!!

Ok let me update you on my issues ofr this rattle:

i have had the following replaced:
Fuel pump
injectors
supercharger 'spring' (?!)
active exhaust value (which was an entire new backbox section)
Fuel pump v2

mine sounds like a teactor on idle. especially noticeable when parked next to a wall / car so that the sound bounces back into the cockpit. when driving at low rpm between cars too its very loud. only gets quiet when drowned out by the exhaust or road noise.

i have it recorded on utube... let me find my link.

in short, my car has been with jag over 7 times now. it still does it! now its reached the point where they are saying ' we cant hear anything', which is bollox because if they couldnt they wouldnt have been replacing parts!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post