Engine ticking sound when idle

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

Forgot to drop an update on this topic. When mine went in for a service I mentioned to them that it was making what I would define as a loud ticking/rattling noise on cold start. They got back to me when picking up the car that it was the supercharger had slackened off, so booked it in under warranty to have the supercharger replaced. Since getting it back, the noise is reduced but there is still a residual ticking from the engine bay, I guess some is to be expected...
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.

SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

I wonder if mine is suffering from the same.
I notice a whizzing sound almost like a turbo spool when planting my foot at low revs in Sport-Auto mode so the car changes down a couple of gears by itself...

Dont really notice a lack of power though! I'll mention it to them, thanks for the update Benji!
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Hi Ben same happened to me turn out to be valve problems and needs engine replace having nightmares with jaguar to agree engine replacement will only offer 25% to wards cost of a 15000 pound engine ps they worked on my supercharger trying to get out of it
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Also Ben jaguar have had the car for ten weeks now summer be over time I get back anyone on here got any ideas what the best course of action is
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Squiddy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm Also Ben jaguar have had the car for ten weeks now summer be over time I get back anyone on here got any ideas what the best course of action is
Hello Squiddy

Is your F Type under any manufacture warranty ? if it is then surly there should be no cost to you :?:
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Yes mine is the same quiet after little while turned out to be a replacement engine
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

kaspa wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 pm
Squiddy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm Also Ben jaguar have had the car for ten weeks now summer be over time I get back anyone on here got any ideas what the best course of action is
Hello Squiddy

Is your F Type under any manufacture warranty ? if it is then surly there should be no cost to you :?:
Was reported before warranty run out it's done 1300 miles from the time I reported it took out extra warranty they have said they will paid 3500 towards as it is the max this warranty pays out its jaguar who's being a pain it turns out valve clearance on two valves is to large
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

Hi Squiddy,

Sorry to hear about all the issues you are having. That is really bad timing just as the warranty ran out, I don't know what to suggest.

Can I check with you, did they replace the supercharger on yours? and then it was still making the noise?

I got a loan V8 when mine went in for a service and lifted the bonnet and listened, with only 300 miles on the clock that was making a similar ticking noise to mine now. I do have both on video, but am offshore so can't upload them. So I think there is some residual ticking from this engine which is expected or classed as normal.

Squiddy, have you noticed any loss in power, or anything else that if affected by the engine problem barring the noise?

Cheers,
Ben
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Hi Ben yes they changed the super charger it was a bit quieter but noise was still there that's why I took out extra warranty there was no lost of power or any noticeable performance lost just a noisey engine there was a recall on the superchargers take yours in to the main dealer
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

OK, thanks for the info. They have already changed the supercharger, but only driven it 300 miles since then, so will see how it fairs in the future - It does seem to have reduced the noise from before.

What do you plan to do with yours Squiddy? You say they have had it for 10 weeks - what have they been doing with it for 10 weeks? I hope they have given you a loan car in the meantime.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post