Fitting a dash Cam to an F Type

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Its usually in case of accident - so many muppets on the road these days you've got a better chance of a decent insurance claim should the other party claim it was your fault....
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Any views on the better option BlackVue or Nextbase or any other make?
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
Tall dad

Post by Tall dad »

daytona650 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:43 am Its usually in case of accident - so many muppets on the road these days you've got a better chance of a decent insurance claim should the other party claim it was your fault....
In that case I don't need one. Nearly all of the accidents I ever have are my fault, I would only incriminate myself! :D
Italian Racing Red - V6S Coupe 2016 - Exterior Black Design Pack - Climate - Parking - Visibility -Performance Seats - 14 Way Memory - Red Seatbelts - Happy
Alasdair 63

Post by Alasdair 63 »

The Blackvue dash cam has a good few features one being if someone bumps your car in a car park it will let you know a incident has occurred and hopefully you can chase up the third party for any damage that may have been done.
White v6s coupe vap tune pulley upgrade 200 cell cats vap exhaust black pack.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

You might want to check out the 412GW on Amazon offer at the moment as a good option.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
JohnGB

Post by JohnGB »

It might be worth having a look at this site, he does some decent reviews of various dash cams.

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam
Stratus Grey V6S AWD Convertable, Black Pack, Tornado Wheels, Ivory Performance Seats, Blind Spot Monitoring, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel. - Gone but not forgotten.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

I use mine for both.

The fact it records motion when the car is parked is a great way for added security. If someone bangs a door into the side of the car or keys it etc, its all caught on camera.
Some insurance companies, although Ive yet to find one, are said to offer discounts if there are dash cams fitted as well.

You also just happen to catch some random sh*t on there too at times
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
DragonRR

Post by DragonRR »

Hello all I'm new here.

Anyway.. first of all a huge thanks to the OP for the incredibly useful post.

It is my partner who owns the F-Type, I bought her a Nextbase 512GW dash cam for her birthday and made the mistake of saying that I will fit it. I had enough problems finding the fusebox, the manual is useless!. Anyway Google isn't and I ended up here.

I decided to post because I didn't much like the idea of removing the trim and the bonnet latch to find a suitable earth. Instead I decided to drill a hole in the aluminium plate above the fuse box itself and fit a small 5mm aluminium rivet rather than a steel one to avoid any aluminium to steel reaction. I was very careful to catch all the aluminium shards on a microfibre cloth which I laid over the fuse box and behind the hole.

The earth tested well and seems to have done the job. I ran the cable under the floor carpet behind the side of the glove box, behind the dash side cover piece (didn't need to remove it just held it off from the A pillar with a trim puller whilst pushing the cable behind.

Hopefully the pic below will show where the hole was drilled. Note that the red wire just runs behind the hole in the pic (it looks like I might have attached it to the ground!)

Neither the cable or the rivet interfere with the fusebox cover which has quite a bit of room behind it.

powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Just digging up this old post, Looking for recommendations on a dash cam for my f-type, also has anyone used the hardwire kits or do you just use the cigarette power outlet. What's the best SD card to use. Mine been a 2018 car, wheres the fuse box to wire and what fuse to use, would be getting halfords to wire it up, hope they know what they're at, now wheres the fuse box and is there a spare powered fuse to go from.

Has anyone bought these from Halfords,

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash- ... rdwire-kit

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash- ... -cam-512gw

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash- ... -cam-312gw
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

I used some fuse tap plugs from Halfords to fit a Thinkware f770 to mine, using a method very similar to the OP.

Very good quality front and back, though the wire to the back camera is too long.

If I set the parking mode to more than 6 hours, it puts a bit of a strain on the car's battery.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post