Fitting a dash Cam to an F Type

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

After much research I went for a brand called streetguardian. I’d never heard of them as the big names tend to dominate but this met my need https://streetguardian.info/

They do a combined front and rear combo.

2yr warranty and plenty of active support on dash cam talk forum including access to beta firmware. Came with memory card 2 different length leads, gps and polarising filter so fairly complete kit.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

I was able to run to the socket in the storage bin so pretty much hidden. Let me know if you want any more pics of the install.

Quick word of warning for any dashcam install - find out where your airbags are and ensure you do not run any wires in front of them.
Kev
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY

Converging

Post by Converging »

Can any one tell me if connecting my next base to the rear cigar socket would cause the camera to record some videos and not others?

I am very aware that the camera comes on as soon as I open the door but goes off and on again when I start the engine. I am very suspicious this is what is affecting the camera as it is also affecting my snooper. (I have to switch the snooper on and off to get it fully working).

Im very aware of this post and connecting to fuse 52 but will this solve the problem I have?
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Geminii wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm I have noticed one or two posts regarding the fitting of dash cams or other electrical devices on an F Type.

Having recently delved behind the carpets and wiring of my 2014 V6S I decided to post up what went on just in case it helps anyone else who may be tempted in the future.

I must point out that I am not an auto electrician and any work carried out has to be at your own risk. I noticed that the Blackvue camera that I was installing had a tag on the supply lead stating that cutting the lead would invalidate the warranty!

I decided that the easiset place to find a suitable fuse location for my purpose would be the passenger footwell fuse box as it is closest to where the dash cam cable emerged from the run around the windscreen and A pillar.

The fuse board on my car is under the floor mat but I think on more modern versions it has been relocated but I am sure the principles will be similar.

Picture one

This shows what was revealed once the fuse board covers were removed. I have written on the photo but it seems to have come out in micro dot! The 2 left hand empty fuses I found were live all the time whether ingnition was on or not. They may cut off on car lock up I don't know. The arrow head is pointing at the live pin of the fuse pair.
The right hand fuse (fuse 52) is normally feeding the Centre Console external accessory socket and as this is where my origanl installtion derived power I thought this would be a good place to start. The arrow head is pointing at the 'switched live' pin of the fuse. This is live when accessories are on and when the engine is fired up.

The next part of the exercise was to find a suitable ground/earth point. I decided to remove the side panel alongside the passenger footwell. It would allow better access to run cables and possibly assist in a suitable ground. This panel is a bit of a pain to remove as I had no idea where it was retained. I removed the bonnet release handle with a TORX screw. Once that was off the panel is held down by the sill plate which can be gently prised up with a wide blade. Once that is released the panel is held at its top edge by a trim pin into the A frame metal work. I had to pull and manipulate it down and out. It also has a tongue on its right hand top edge which plugs into a slot of the passenger well carpet/panel. Sounds more complicated than it was. Once released you can see the detail shown in picture 2.

Picture two

This shows the boot release mechanism which I have unbolted from its position as I thought that the bolt was adequate to carry the <2 Amps requirement for a dash cam. There is a hole in the metal work just below the mechanism which the more adventurous of you could drill near by and fit a more suitable termination should you feel like it. I don't like drilling uneccessarily :)

Picture three

I used a crimp on/soldered eyelet onto a length of black wire as my ground termination. Once that was made I reattached the bonnect release with its bolt and the eyelet. This photo shows the reassmebled unit. The yellow fuse is the 20 Amp fuse that feeds the Accessory socket.

Picture four
I removed the old 'cigar lighter' plug from the dash cam lead but left the inline fuse in position. The wiring in the fuse carrier is very thin and I did not want to disturb it so chickened out! The wires I joined after the fuse was done with soldered joints and a fair bit of shrink on sleeving which does provide a good degree of electrical and mechanical protection. The lead is shown in this photo. Please note the car carpet is in pristine condition and why it looks stained is one of the quirks of an iphone!!!

Picture five

Once all the trim was installed, handles reattached the completed job looked like this photo.

Once complete a road test showed it all worked as intended and no more trailing leads inside the cabin.

Hope that is of some help.

picture 1.jpgpicture 2.JPGpicture 3.JPGpicture 4.JPGpicture 5.JPG
Resurrecting an old thread but hoping the info still holds true
Fitting a dash cam(next base 422GW); both front and rear
Q. It mentions that fuse 52 is the switched live- no issues here. The permanent live is suggested as 59 or 62 but is not fitted in this install.
I intend to use parking mode so will need the permanent live (will install a battery guard to prevent it dropping below 12.5V). Have others used fuse 59 and 62 for permanent live feed
Q. For the rear cam what was the best cable route and how best to locate the camera. On the rear screen or the headlining with a bracket?
TIA
Russ
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post