Intermittent rattle in door or B pillar

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
FtypeRB

Post by FtypeRB »

My 2016 V6S Coupe has an intermittent rattle at ear level which I think is coming from inside the B pillar trim.
It is mainly on the driver's side but occasionally occurs on the passenger side. (It's great when it happens on both sides simultaneously !)
I believe others have experienced this issue but has anyone identified the problem and found a solution ?
The car is going to the dealer soon to hopefully have the new window seals fitted (driver's window scratched) and it would be great to get this annoying rattle fixed also.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
RB

Frp1

Post by Frp1 »

Hi,

Mine has the same, been to one dealer and they just put some foam pads on each side. I looks very poor and didn't fix the problem.
The fix looked so bad I didn't tell the dealer and took car so 13 months service last week and they have booked it in for a day to have a good look.
I will let you know if they sort it.

Thanks
ben Addison

BDE Ultra Blue
FtypeRB

Post by FtypeRB »

Thanks Ben.
I've done some more searching on the forum and found the links below as it seems others have experienced this problem.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=571

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=435

Tel has posted a potential pointer in that 'more washers are needed on the door handle'.

Let me know how you get on.
RB
Frp1

Post by Frp1 »

Hi,

Did you get your rattle sorted?

Mine has been in 3 weeks now. They found it with in2 days to be coming from the inner arch and sent details of to jaguar on the 17th.
They got a list of checks to look at on the 23rd from jaguar, but until now the car is still at the dealer waiting to be looked.
Call in today and they said to will be looked at on Monday. This is after telling me the same on the 23rd and the 26th 😡

We have now missed out on 3 nice weekends of sunshine. To drive it.
The dealer is hatfields Wakefield.
ben Addison

BDE Ultra Blue
FtypeRB

Post by FtypeRB »

Hi Ben
Wow 3 weeks without your car is a bit much !
My car has been to the dealer twice for 2 days each to fix other problems (scratches on window, noisey fan, noisey tailgate strut) but it was not possible to recreate the clicking noise. However, on collection the last time it started again and I was able to get a technician to hear it. Also I had made two recordings which I sent them. So ball is now in my court to book the car in again.
So, no, it has not been fixed but the dealer now has an idea of where the clicking is coming from.
I'll keep you informed of progress.
RB
DB123

Post by DB123 »

This is apparently a very well known problem but Jaguar refuse to recall and sort this out. It has to do with the way he rear panels are bonded to the main body. I had this problem on both sides of the car and after the 4th visit the dealer finally stripped out the entire rear trim of the car, sent it to the body shop and they in turn had to put some expanding foam into the seam between the panels. The noise comes from the glue that bonds the panels which at manufacture creates air pockets. When these air-pockets collapse (not sure why) the panels rub creating a 'ticking type noise'. The body shop seem to have fixed it but its actually something JLR should recall cars for and get this sorted out as clearly its a manufacturing defect of sorts.

Mine now unfortunately has another noise coming from the passenger door trim, so at some point it will have to go back in. however the ticking noise from the rear (both sides) has gone.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post