Battery conditioner

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Hi, everyone.
Whilst it is a while away, I will be taking my F Type off the road for a couple of winter months.
I have always done this with my summer toy.
I store in a Carcoon with their specific float charger.
On my other cars this has been connected directly to the battery terminals.
From reading up on this, it appears that due to having 2 batteries this is not possible on the F Type.

I think the solution is to connect the positive to the jump start terminal on the osf inner wing and the negative to the earth at the side, in the same way as jump starting.

Am I correct in this assumption, I am sure other forum members must have used a battery conditioner at some time.

Thanks for any advice, Rob
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Good question. I'll be looking to do the same. My merc had two batteries, one dedicated to starting and the problematic, if allowed to lose charge, convenience battery.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Yes, seems to be a lot of confusion on different sites as to how to do this.
Hopefully this great forum will provide the definitive answer
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Hi,

There is a specific Jaguar connecting kit available for the F-Type. I use the Jaguar battery conditioner which I bought with the car and is made by Ctek but an aftermarket Ctek unit will work just as well.

The link for the instructions and part number for the Jaguar kit is below. The kit enables you to connect up in the boot rather than using the underbonnet method. I have my conditioner connected whilst the car is parked up at home pretty much all year round. It has gone through two winters where the car is very little used and has kept both batteries fully conditioned with no issues.

http://download1078.mediafire.com/d045l ... ng+Kit.pdf

Hope this helps.
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Thanks scoobydoo, but this seems quite a job wiring this in. Is this the same for a convertible? Also will the underbonnet approach work as I have the connectors it's then just open the bonnet clip and turn on. Cars in a triple locked garage so I always leave the bonnet slightly open.
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Actually re-reading these instructions, it purely is just a matter of connecting the Carcoon charger leads to the body earthing bolt and the positive red terminal shown on the small battery?
No need for all the other wiring any cigarette lighter socket.
Am I reading this right?
Rob
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

The supplying dealer fitted my kit as it was all part of the cost of the battery conditioner when I ordered the car. So far as I know, the kit works with both the convertible and coupe.

I have no experience of the underbonnet connection as I've had no reason to use it but I'm sure your dealer would provide a definitive answer or perhaps another owner on this forum has used the underbonnet method.
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

JurassicF wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 pm Actually re-reading these instructions, it purely is just a matter of connecting the Carcoon charger leads to the body earthing bolt and the positive red terminal shown on the small battery?
No need for all the other wiring any cigarette lighter socket.
Am I reading this right?
Rob
Hi Rob,

Yes you are correct. You don't have to fit the cigar lighter socket if you would rather just connect. The Jaguar kit does work very well with their conditioner as all I do is plug it in but there's no reason why you can't run a similar connection set-up and just leave the connector end in the boot for when you want to couple up. Just be careful not to trap any wires.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Brilliant, thanks will try this well in advance of time to ensure all works.
Rob
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Brian's photo of the CTEK connections, in the link below makes it easy peasy. Or just search the forum for CTEK and look for the post by BigBri

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1325&p=11106&hilit=CTEK#p11106

The battery remains connected, whilst coupling up the charger tails so there's no risk of losing any memory settings.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post