Bonfire Night

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Well sort of.

Coming home through M3 roadworks last night and engine check light came on for a few seconds, blinked then went out again.

Having come from an early build XE I wasn't too concerned - maybe just a random blip - but then it started running rough and felt like it was in no-response winter mode.

Caught some smoke coming out the back so worried it was a head gasket or something - kept an eye on the temp but it was holding steady.

Then noticed the range going down fast from a fill-up-in-the-morning 45 miles to 0 before I'd left the exit a couple of miles later. Big smoke now at the off roundabout and waiting for it to stop at any moment, but crawled home.

Got Jag Assist coming out at 2 pm as didn't see much point in accepting the AA straight away.

My bet is it's a fuel injector blown and dumping excess fuel through the engine, so let's see. If it is I just hope the neat fuel hasn't washed the oil off the bore and damaged the cylinder.

Going to phone my local dealer now and see what the deal is on a loan car as they'll be shut before I get confirmation, so unlikely they'll act before Monday, which will be highly inconvenient, but we'll see. They've been very good to me in the past so worth a call.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

You might want to check for fuel in the oil if it was chuckling in that much, or at least check the oil level.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks for the heads-up, yep.

Seems like a complete bank can sometimes go at once - usually furthest from the high pressure fuel pump.

Looks like new oil and filter are a must - possibly new plugs too.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hope it's all OK Lunar can you please keep us posted,
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Sorry, but as you say, you may want to consider a compression test. If bore wash has occurred then there's been little or no lubrication for the piston rings.

PS Food for injector thought here: http://www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.co ... oblems.htm

O2 sensors could have caused the CEL whilst excess fuel wouldn't have done the catalytic converters any favours either.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yep, cheers H - i'll specifically mention all that and make sure i get a report back that it's been checked out.

Based on previous Jag experience I want to see this sorted right first time and not with several follow-up visits.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Sad to see this.
What age of car and what mileage?
Do these cars tend to be a bit unreliable?
I have come from Jap and German sports cars without any problems, hope I don't live to regret it!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

It's a 14 plate with 40k miles, so relatively high for an F-Type but as a modern car that shouldn't be an issue.

Jag Assist just left having confirmed my expectations.

Bad news on cyls 1, 2, 3 and petrol in the oil - it really didn't run well as a 2 stroke!

Should be collected and in the workshop on Monday but expecting 2-3 weeks without her - bollo##s!

...and of course the weather's looking mainly dry next week for my 05:30 roof down drives into work :(

I'll update when I have some news.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Really sorry to hear this.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Really sorry to hear of your issue ...

Does anyone know if there is any preventative maintenance to consider ... And why does Jaguar have such an appetite for injectors?
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!