Bonfire Night

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello Lunar

really hope you get this sorted soon ... ping me a email if you need my help

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thank you Kaspa.

Eventually got an update call about 5pm yesterday, but it was more concerning than comforting.

They've got it into the shop, done another diagnostic on it and got it started up and running ok - which I thought a bit confusing.

Can injectors be sticky and then sort themselves? - I thought they just failed.

Went through the incident with me for the 3rd time - I wonder if they were trying to check my story? Seems that between the Jag Assist and the transport driver they transposed the final 2 digits on the oddometer from 18 to 81, so I was asked why I'd driven it so much after it had broken down - notwithstanding the fact that it wouldn't start! Was also asked why I'd run the fuel tank so low - said it had 45 mile range with a couple of miles to home when this happened and the range then plummeted.

They said the oil level was ok - so I challenged saying I had a photo of it being about 1/4 down on the computer check, so he said they'd probably topped it up before starting it. I mentioned that it stank of petrol - Jag Assist also checked that - and why were they starting it before a full oil and filter change but was told it was ok to do.

Then asked if their technician could take the car home to give it a longer test - I'd ok'd it on the XE previously with stop/start problems but gave a firm no to this.

Also was surprised they didn't seem to have the info. from when Jag Assist attended and downloaded the fault codes.

So at the moment not sure if I'm confused, concerned, quite worried, or all of the above!

Let's see what the next update next week brings.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 1088

Hello Lunar

wow that is confusing .. really confusing, I am getting frustrated reading your post and its not even my car

The worrying thing is that this could happen to any of us, how is your relationship with the dealership

keep your cool ...

all the best
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks for the advice - yep, shouting won't help and I'll await the next update before considering what else to do.
If still not happy I'll write to CRC and set out the details - if nothing else it will be setting my concerns in case it's not a first time fix, although not wanting to look ahead like that.
The dealership has been excellent up to now - I wonder if the ramp up in sales has not been matched by service capacity and they're sinking a bit. A common mistake in business after all.
...I did contact you, but it was a PM, not an email - just re-read your post.

Hopefully good news with the next post - fingers crossed.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 1088

Hello

Any News ? hopefully some progress
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Kaspa,

Yep, progress of sorts and was going to give a proper update after tomorrow.
But I'll give you a few bullet points now - if I explained the whole fiasco I think i'd need a new typewriter ribbon!!

"Highlights"
- Call from Thrifty yesterday evening to say the car I'd been using had been off-hired last Friday and could they have their car back please.
- Call from dealer yesterday evening saying they can't find anything wrong and would I like to come and collect my car.
- I politely explained that their not being able to diagnose the fault didn't fill me with confidence to take the car back.
- Dealer agreed to give me a loan car this morning for 2 days if I dropped the hire car back with them.
- Dealer informed me this morning that it had "done it again" on Monday evening - I guess when they went to park it up outside.
- So glad I didn't agree to take it back and suffer another bad experience on the way home instead.
- Apparently, 10 days after both I and Jag Assist diagnosed it, they reckon it's a fuel injector - who'd have thought it eh!
- One now on order and hope to fit and test tomorrow, so may get the cat back tomorrow evening.
- Oh, and my concerns that they were test running it without having changed the oil - it's not a problem sir, we've topped it back up.
- Except now they strongly recommend an oil change and it's not covered by the warranty sir so that will be £260.
- Although when I bit my tongue and said fine carry on - I'll be phoning CRC when I put the phone down, they agreed to do it FOC.

So I guess we're getting there but words cannot describe the appalling lack of customer service I've experienced and apparent incompetence (don't think that's too strong a word) in diagnosing the problem from simple clues.

I still got a blank response when I suggested they phone Jag Assist and speak to the chap that came out and quickly diagnosed the issue - I just wish I'd kept his mobile number so I could have gone in to the dealer and made them speak to him.

Anyways, let's hope the fiasco is nearing its end now and I can look forward to some more happy F-Type driving.

I shall be requesting a detailed report on what they've done - what they've checked, or haven't (cylinder compression, O2 sensor, cat, etc.) - and which injector has been changed.

I can only hope this is a one-off - both for me and for you guys out there - and not a symptom of mileage related problems.
Deleted User 1088

Hello Lunar

to be honest BMW had a similar problem with their high pressure fuel pumps .. upto the point in the states there was various lawsuits towards BMW.. also BMW had problems with their ignition coils so have changed suppliers also had problems with their piezo direct injection injectors .. anyway nothing to do with your problem but does show issues across the range with other models .. the common thing being all direct injection examples, the old non direct injection seems to be fine.
So with all these fuel efficiency measures as direct injection coupled with the normal emission measures now all of a sudden is not working as emissions are too high and the government are going to ban all petrol cars etc etc .. strange that

sorry drifting into politics ...

what worries me is that all jaguar are doing is changing the injector ... what about the fault diagnose of the faulty part (route cause analysis etc) if the dealers are just changing the injector we need to know why it failed otherwise there is no systemic root cause fix to the problem .. unless hopefully it is just a small proportion of cars made

we need a poll of our members to have some statistics ... :D

anyway .. enough of my ramblings, looks like some progress at least

regards
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thank goodness your getting somewhere Lunar, you have a serious amount of patience it's these engineers. £260 for an oil change I think not...

Will start checking the American forums for similar issues, better to know now than when the warranty runs out.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ok, so I got the call late yesterday and picked my way through gridlock with the downpour to collect the pussycat.

All neat and tidy and valeted with the usual brake dust removed from the wheels too.

Felt quite strange getting back into it from the XE loan car - steering weight (hydraulic), low entry, and even forgot where to find the seat adjustment - yes really! :lol:

They didn't have the paperwork sorted but said the service administrator would call today to sort.

Not happened but then they'll probably chase me for the £20 of fuel they put in because I hadn't seen in my crystal ball that it would suddenly go into about 5 mpg mode! - so I'm not going to chase them.

Do want to obtain the full work report though and will let you all know what it says - seems it was just 1 injector that was changed.

Just good to have it back on a dry day and have a nice 6am commute, and then a drive to lunch with an M4 convertible in convoy too.

Happiness resumed 8-)

...now to pop out and fit my Jag puddle lights!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

So which puddle lights did you go for?
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel