V-Power & Morrisons!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Daft question.

I mix my fuels. One week V-Power, next week Morrisons. Any problem with this?

What properties does V-Power provide over Morrisons own blend?!

Off to beautiful Woodhall Spa today for a classic car show at the Petwood Hotel. Lovely day for a drive! πŸ‘
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I thought V power had cleaning stuff in it that supposedly helps maintain the life of the components in the engine. I don't think there's any problem mixing it.

I always use the Tesco 99 RON stuff. Higher octane = more pops and bangs = more smiles!
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Frankly you can run on whatever you want within the range specified in the handbook, as fuels can be mixed. You can put in higher but never lower
The engine will sort out what it's getting and adjust. So that the basic rule and don't worry.

Recommendation from some experts though is to get close to pure one or the other, so from that regular switching or part tanks doesn't make sense.. I don't think it's sensible for the engine to be gulping down 99 at 100mph or heavy load, then suddenly be burning 95. Also note that rating is not linear so 50:50 of 97 & 95 doesn't make 96. It depends on many components to make the rating, which again makes it sound bad to mix.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

ECU monitors for knock and if it detects any it will retard the timing. There's less chance of knock with higher octane fuel so the engine runs more efficiently and thus, more economically and with more power. It costs more so the choice is yours. My R is not a daily driver so it gets Tesco Momentum (99 RON) or Shell VPower (98 RON). Esso's 97 is not bad but wouldn't touch BP whatever it's called.

Another problem is with long lay-offs like the winter hibernation. Unleaded 'goes off' after a few weeks so best to run the tank really low before storage and then fill up with a high octane once the hibernation is over.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I really don't think it makes any difference as the electronics will adjust the engine accordingly. Porsche always insist on 99 octane but on at least three test drives in demonstrators they've always filled up with premium. I changed from super to premium in my last 911 and I didn't notice a scrap of difference. Jaguar say premium so that's what I use. I will give 99 a go next time I'm on empty just to satisfy my curiosity.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Whenever possible I use the Tesco 99 for all the reasons mentioned above πŸ˜ƒ
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Tel

Post by Tel »

DaddyDarren wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 am Daft question.

I mix my fuels. One week V-Power, next week Morrisons. Any problem with this?

What properties does V-Power provide over Morrisons own blend?!

Off to beautiful Woodhall Spa today for a classic car show at the Petwood Hotel. Lovely day for a drive! πŸ‘
No question is daft...we have already had a discussion re fuel which might be worth a read...

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=365&p=10435&hilit=fuel#p10435
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Aitch wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:54 am ECU monitors for knock and if it detects any it will retard the timing. There's less chance of knock with higher octane fuel so the engine runs more efficiently and thus, more economically and with more power. It costs more so the choice is yours. My R is not a daily driver so it gets Tesco Momentum (99 RON) or Shell VPower (98 RON). Esso's 97 is not bad but wouldn't touch BP whatever it's called.

Another problem is with long lay-offs like the winter hibernation. Unleaded 'goes off' after a few weeks so best to run the tank really low before storage and then fill up with a high octane once the hibernation is over.
From all the advice on classic car websites and the MB Pagoda forum, I always fill my Pagoda to the brim when it's stored, otherwise as the fuel goes off it seperates and water then damages the injectors etc., and fuel tanks. I do add a fuel stabiliser though as she sits for 6 months.
Apparently the less space in the tank the less likely for fuel degradation.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Oh and every performance car I have had seems to run better on Tesco 99 momentum.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

And yes, a stabiliser for the period when hibernating, forgot to mention but very valid point ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post