12v power supply timeout?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Hi guys,

I realise I could go experiment with this by plugging in a phone charger to the 12v socket, but I'm lazy! Does anyone know how long the 12v power supply stays on after turning off the ignition? Or does it stay on permanently?

Getting a dashcam which I'd like to leave plugged into the 12v socket permanently but just want to make sure it won't drain the battery. The cam goes into a g-sensor mode using its own battery when parked up, so doesn't need hard-wired in. But I just want to make sure it won't drain the car battery if I leave it hooked up to the 12v socket when the car is not in use.

Cheers,
D
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

On the cigarette lighter I believe that the power is removed as soon as you lock the doors .. the reason I know this is that I have one of those voltage temperature lighter plug in units .. that I purchased to monitor the voltage

why I did this .... its a electrical engineer habit / thing
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Great, thanks Kaspa
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

but I will plug it in ... when in the car and see when it times out when I listen to music when in the garage (like I do)

but for sure the voltage is removed when you lock the car

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post