F Type low oil pressure switch

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

As per title do we have one ?

I was reading this thread on another forum ... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... 80/page10/

Also I do not like the electronic dipstick method ..

now do our cars have a low oil pressure warning ? some say it does not which I can not believe .. So I have access to topix and will check, but alarmingly based on my investigations so far looks like it does not ?

any thoughts members .. I will research topix some more and post

Markku

Post by Markku »

As the manual states "If the message ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LOW is displayed, stop the engine as soon as it is safe to do so, and seek qualified assistance. Do not start the engine until the cause has been rectified.", I'd assume that it does.

I do agree that the electronic oil check seems unnecessarily convoluted.
Who wants to sit in their car for ten minutes after they get somewhere to then be able to check the oil level?
The equivalent for BMW is far easier, just check it any time after the engine is warmed up and still running.
V6S Coupe, Polaris White, Full Red Leather Performance Seats, Pano Roof.
Deleted User 1088

Markku wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:58 pm As the manual states "If the message ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LOW is displayed, stop the engine as soon as it is safe to do so, and seek qualified assistance. Do not start the engine until the cause has been rectified.", I'd assume that it does.

I do agree that the electronic oil check seems unnecessarily convoluted.
Who wants to sit in their car for ten minutes after they get somewhere to then be able to check the oil level?
The equivalent for BMW is far easier, just check it any time after the engine is warmed up and still running.
many thanks .. so there must be a pressure sensor some where
Deleted User 1088

Hello

Yes you are correct the manual shows this .. but on another forum a chap blew his v8 engine , long story so read the thread

But on that forum there are some knowledgeable people who reckon there is no pressure sensor.. but as the manual states there must be
Deleted User 1088

Hello

also I can confirm there is no oil pressure low sensor, it's not mentioned in any of the technical documents or circuit diagrams .. also when you 1st turn the engine on there is no lamp test for it ! it is in the manual but I can confirm it's not fitted .. the 2.0 4 pot does however .. absolutely stupid in my opinion, why on earth would they not fit this .. god only knows ..

also does not monitor the level while driving .. great :evil: so make sure you check that oil regularly before start up
Last edited by Deleted User 1088 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1088

kaspa wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:17 pm Hello

also I can confirm there is no oil pressure low sensor, it's not mentioned in any of the technical documents or circuit diagrams .. also when you 1st turn the engine on there is no lamp test for it ! it is in the manual but I can confirm it's not fitted .. the 2.0 4 pot does however .. absolutely stupid in my opinion, why on earth would they not fit this .. god only knows ..

also does not monitor the level while driving .. great :evil:
but happy to be proved wrong ..
Deleted User 1088

So

the more I think of this the more concerned I get

If you read the owners manual about oil pressure low warning you drive your car with the comfort at least if there was a low pressure issue you would be warned about it .. well wrong !

so owners read the manual and think they would have at least some warning, well I would !

but in reality the sensor is not fitted, and when you 1st turn the ignition on you will notice the low oil pressure light does not light up in the test phase .. well the reason for this is its not bloody fitted :twisted:

poor show in my opinion
aperture

Post by aperture »

I had a look on Topix and I also couldn't find an oil pressure sensor. In the diagnostic codes setion it seems that low oil pressure is inferred from the camshaft position sensor. I would hope that in the event this will flag an engine malfuncion light/alarm/message.

In the engine description and operation section of Topix the variable camshaft timing is described; It's dependent on sufficient oil pressure to operate correctly. So it's probably reasonable to assume that if there is an inconsistency between camshaft position measurement and the timing set point that oil pressure could be a cause.

Surely a bean counter's decision not to include a simple oil pressure switch.

Re: the thread on another forum with alleged oil starvation - Perhaps the supplier of the modified controller removed the camshaft position protection?

VCT.png

oilpressure_low.PNG

Deleted User 1088

aperture wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 pm I had a look on Topix and I also couldn't find an oil pressure sensor. In the diagnostic codes setion it seems that low oil pressure is inferred from the camshaft position sensor. I would hope that in the event this will flag an engine malfuncion light/alarm/message.

In the engine description and operation section of Topix the variable camshaft timing is described; It's dependent on sufficient oil pressure to operate correctly. So it's probably reasonable to assume that if there is an inconsistency between camshaft position measurement and the timing set point that oil pressure could be a cause.

Surely a bean counter's decision not to include a simple oil pressure switch.

Re: the thread on another forum with alleged oil starvation - Perhaps the supplier of the modified controller removed the camshaft position protection?
Hello aperture

many many thanks for a great tech response, greatly appreciated .. yes you may be correct and does make sense

the only item I have is that why doesn't the low oil pressure warning light illuminate when the dash goes through the start up diagnostics. you would have thought this would be the case.

But you have a very sound theory in my opinion ... thanks for the post

regards
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

If that's how it's done then it's an elegant solution :)

I'm all for removing unrequired parts and using alternative better solutions. Who needs a pressure switch these days, which then requires loom and connectors and more bits to fail. I had one fail on an off road Jeep and it gave me hours of concern driving with seemingly no oil pressure and reduced power output/limp mode when all else, including a real pressure gauge, indicated it was working perfectly and of course it was.
Same with dash lights on start-up - very old school. Few drivers even look at them
Clear ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LOW display message when somethings wrong is a far better solution for the 99% of normal drivers
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post