Lowering Springs & Spacers

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Morning!

Received a quote from David Appleby Engineering to supply & fit the Velocity AP Lowering Springs, 15mm spacers all round & full wheel alignment. Before I book it in has anyone here had this work done?

Any detrimental reactions from the car ride, handling & especially electronics or error messages?

I know DA are a superb outfit but after my experience at Paramount I would like to be forewarned of any potential issues. For example, DA cannot specifically quote for labour costs for the spacers. They've not fitted any previously & they don't know if they are straight bolt-on or whether any modification to the studs is needed.

My car is base V6 340 RWD.

Thanking you in advance.

Darren
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

Boostfan

Post by Boostfan »

It would be a brave decision without seeing what the car will look like & more importantly how it might affect the handling, ride etc.
I would certainly want to speak to someone who had had it done before taking the plunge.
White MK3 Focus RS.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

I understand some 20" wheels options (OEM) can only run a max 15mm spacer without bodywork or inner arch issue on full lock.
Anything over 15mm spacer I always experienced as being bolt on to the OEM studs with the wheels then mounting on the studs set into the spacer. Below and including this width may involve taking hubs apart to install longer studs. This is what I needed to do on the Honda as I run 15f / 25r spacers.
There are plenty of photos of VAP lowered F-types on the US forum all running on 20's if you need to see end results.

As for ride, I believe Timbo and Alasdair63 both have the springs installed ... So maybe IM them for comments ...

HTH, rgds Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Thank you. Yes I've met Timbo & Alasdair at last months JBC meet. Didn't get chance to ask where work done or if any issues. Waiting for their contributions!

Only issue I've read mechanical wise is a small amount 2/3mm needing to be shaved off each stud to allow for wheel clearance.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Myer

Post by Myer »

I would be reluctant to mess with the springs without driving a modified F-Type to make sure you are happy with the set up.
Especially difficult if DA haven't yet fitted spacers to the model.

In my own case I already have issues with speed bumps, on one or two I have to literally crawl over the bumps to avoid scraping the front deflector. The same goes for steep driveways / car parks, so for me its not on my list of things to do!
Myer

Post by Myer »

I had already "sold" my car but was let down at the last moment by a time waster, so for now I am in limbo, so no projects at the moment!
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Watching this thread with interest, I'm planning on fitted the springs via DA at some point. Hadn't thought about spacers. In the past (on my M3 / Z4MC days) spacers really made a difference to the appearance, improved the stance no end.

I'm going back out to the garage now to check my car to see if I want them :)

IMO 15mm spacers will make little difference to the handling and no difference to the road height.
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

No problems what so ever apart from speed bumps and steep driveways, i do have the H&R springs though which lower the car about 1"1/4 compared to the velocity ones which only lower it about 3/4" i think.
As for the ride it hasnt really changed to be honest, maybe slightly firmer and stays flatter through corners.
Regarding the spacers i again have H&R 15 mm ones and again no probs but i do have storm wheels which i believe are slightly more recessed on the back so no need to trim the studs.
Why dont you fit the spacers yourself there very easy, i did.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Timbo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 pm No problems what so ever apart from speed bumps and steep driveways, i do have the H&R springs though which lower the car about 1"1/4 compared to the velocity ones which only lower it about 3/4" i think.
As for the ride it hasnt really changed to be honest, maybe slightly firmer and stays flatter through corners.
Regarding the spacers i again have H&R 15 mm ones and again no probs but i do have storm wheels which i believe are slightly more recessed on the back so no need to trim the studs.
Why dont you fit the spacers yourself there very easy, i did.
Hi Tim, you have pm :)
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Tel

Post by Tel »

Can't comment on lowering, other than it looks really good...especially with 21''s
Take a look at the US site for lots of pictures.

I have fitted Motorsport Tech 17mm spacers all round that require no modification to the studs.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... rs-164609/
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's