How to tell if you have Jag, AM or generic spec tyres?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

I need to replace one rear tyre, but I'm not sure what spec the current P Zero is and I want to make sure they match along the axle.

How can you tell what spec your tyres are?
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Look around the outside of the tyre wall, just after the 'Pirelli' iirc. There will be 1-3 letters J or JRS = Jaguar, AMS= Aston Martin

Make sure it doesn't have N0/1/2/3 as N = Porsche.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/re ... dvice.html
Nick

Post by Nick »

Jaguar put new cars from the factory with any of J, JRS or AMS tyres fitted
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Assume it's not a good idea to mix along the same axle? I know it's a big no no to mix tyres along the same axle, but are the differences enough between grades for this to be an issue?

Basically I need one rear, I'm thinking of getting a part worn to make do until they both need changing and I can put Michelins on.
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Nick

Post by Nick »

The one I saw on the new cars were not mixed I.e. 2 AMS on the rears and 2 J on the fronts
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Having had a rather somewhat ‘lively’ drive at 7:30am today, I think I may need some new rears.
I’m down to 5mm, but even in rain mode and only slightly damp roads it was not an enjoyable ride at times.

Anyway, I’ve scoured the outside of my tyres and I can’t see any reference to Jaguar, AM or even an N number on them!

Would love to put Michelin’s on all four corners, but the fronts are very new (think they were put on by the dealer pre sale)
IRR V8R
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

I'd be inclined to put Michelins on the rears, where grip is more important then you can happily stick with them when the fronts give out.

Whatever you do, if you stick with Pirelli, make sure they are NOT 'N0/N1/N2' (Porsche). AMS marked are fine and what the dealer swapped my N0 marked rears for when I complained that the car was trying to kill me at the merest hint of throttle.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I have found the p zero tyre terrible in the damp/wet, they really are a summer tyre, love the way Jaguar say they are summer tyres but don’t officially give a winter tyre fit. Second set of wheels with pilot or something which grips in the wet are needed.
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Hated the Pirelli’s I had on my Boxster Spyder and ended up changing for Michelin’s, but they all needed doing.
Not sure I could go with one make on the front and another on the back.

Why are Pirelli’s so bad?
IRR V8R
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

M@r]{ wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 am Assume it's not a good idea to mix along the same axle? I know it's a big no no to mix tyres along the same axle, but are the differences enough between grades for this to be an issue?

Basically I need one rear, I'm thinking of getting a part worn to make do until they both need changing and I can put Michelins on.
Honestly I would never dream of putting a part worn tyre on any car, especially a high performance sports car.

Ask yourself where that tyre came from and its history? It's likely to have been on a crashed car or could have pinched cords if driven on a kerb, etc. Do you really want to do that??
For c£500 stick a pair of Michelin 4S on
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post