Car become quieter

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
shadow_ninja

Post by shadow_ninja »

Hi everyone. I have a 2015 V6S coupe with an active exhaust.

Lately, my friends and I have noticed that the car has become quieter even with the exhaust valves open - with fewer cracks and bangs...

The exhaust switch still works, and there is a noticeable difference between when the switch is on and off, but it just seems quieter.

I’ve also noticed that the right tail pipe seems dirtier than the left tail pipe and that the right tail pipe seems to be chucking out more exhaust gases than the left one (based on my quick hand in front of the exhaust test that I carried out).

Any help or advice on why this might be the case? I’m not very clued up on the mechanics of this exhaust system, and therefore not sure if one tail pipe being ‘dominant’ is by design.

And the car seems to drive fine - no warning lights coming on...

Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

You had a service or car been in to dealer recent to when it stopped by any chance?
DAW

Post by DAW »

As I have just dropped off my 2016 V6s for its first service this morning I am slightly nervous they will take away some of its pop crackle and growl ! Is this a known issue after a service ?
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Mine just had its first service and no difference in the audio drama!
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
DAW

Post by DAW »

dezzy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 pm Mine just had its first service and no difference in the audio drama!
That's good to know --
thanks
shadow_ninja

Post by shadow_ninja »

Thanks ftypeharv for replying - no. Last serviced in February and not due in for another few months
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

Same here, 1st service done a couple of months ago and no change in pops and bangs
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

If car has the software update for o2 exhaust reliability it will be quieter, Jag are supposed to check and apply during a service yet prob will not tell you - many people noticed a lack of noise after it was applied

K309 from memory..... Google it

Newer versions of update make it alot better
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

When I have the active exhaust on then one tail pipe does get noticeably dirtier than the other.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Ftypeharv wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm If car has the software update for o2 exhaust reliability it will be quieter, Jag are supposed to check and apply during a service yet prob will not tell you - many people noticed a lack of noise after it was applied

K309 from memory..... Google it

Newer versions of update make it alot better
But something has changed between the last service in Feb and now.

Maybe one of the valves isn't operating for some reason so effectively restricting the free flow.