Roof not Latched Warning

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

Hi all, I hope someone can help shed some light on this. I have 2014 Convertible, today I put the roof down which stowed in the boot as normal. However, the side Cover Flaps did not fold back down and the windows wouldn't go up , this means the process didn't complete and the warning Roof not Latched appeared on the dash. I can put the roof back up and the windows close but the flaps still stay up. I'm thinking is it a fuse or something more serious with the mechanism?
Thanks
Stu
Caldera Red MY19 V8 AWD R

GNG

Post by GNG »

Are the flaps not always up when the roof is up?
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

Nope the flaps move up and close back down when the roof is operated thereby sealing the gap both ways.
Thanks
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

My flaps stay up when the roof is up. I didn't think there was enough space for the flaps to rotate down when the roof is up.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

All, I seem to have fixed the issue, I disconnected/reconnected the battery started the car and the roof , flaps and windows work correctly. Not sure why it made a difference but seems like a reboot did the trick
I'll wait to see if this is intermittent over the next sunny days out
Thanks
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

The roof gremlin has returned, when the roof is down the side flaps do not close, Jagster you were correct that the flaps are up when the roof is up. I think the issue is around the central latch point does not rotate to lock the roof down, this is the mechanism that triggers the side flaps to close and complete the sequence. I have tried a little bit of fiddling to move the roof latch but to no avail, I am guessing it's either motor issue of fuse issue. Is there a manual way to trigger this?
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Stuart
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

Having checked the fuses, tried figuring out the manual override (failed), and battery disconnect. I have sent it into the Jaguar dealer; first response was "Strange they never go wrong". When asked about how to do the manual override "No Idea, they never go wrong". The upshot is 5 hours labour to strip down to the mechanism to see if it's a latch or motor problem, if it's the latch or motor could be around £350. Total Bill will be at Least £950... Unfortunately not in warranty so should have taken extended as it would have been cheaper in the long run.
I'll update when I have more information on fix and cost but they haven't started stripping down yet or doing the diagnostics so might be end of the week.
Good news is it passed MOT !!
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

Update on Progress from the Jaguar Dealer.. having stripped down to the rear roof latch and replaced the locking switch and mechanism the problem still exists. The roof has now got to come off to investigate further. I'm starting to get the feeling they have no idea and have not engaged any Jaguar UK Technical assistance. I have sent them a couple of suggestions from this forum site to try and help them diagnose.
Good news is I don't have to pay for the Rear latch and motor, the bad news is I'm still paying for the labour costs for the roof to come off. I feel a letter coming on to Jaguar UK
john-handy

Post by john-handy »

Sounds like a sensor that tells the flaps that the roof is up or down completely before allowing them to close back down.
J
2014 Polaris White/Red F-Type V6S Convertible

"it's an x-rated, hardcore monster, for the terminally unhinged..." JC
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

I have finally got the car back from the dealer, the solution was to fit new motors JTR16883 X 2 for each side, and JTR2059. I have been told the motors syncronize (Talk to each other) so having replaced each side and the locking motor the system now works as it should. In all about a month without the car. This was a very frustrating experience on the whole, and due to the technicians having to keep going back to Jaguar UK for advice it took a lot of hassling to get to the finish line. Jaguar UK and the dealership have acknowledged this is not really acceptable and have reduced the bill by 50%, the full total for the repair would have been £1600. Not really sure how I feel in terms of confidence in keeping the car without some form of extended warranty (circa £700). It's due a major service in July so possibly looking at another £500, this year it could cost me £2100 if I decide to keep it.
I used to own a TVR and they cost a fortune to keep, this year of Jag ownership is feeling a similar experience!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post