second set of wheels

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

I use my car all year round and I am looking into getting a second set of wheels with winter tyres.

My question is. With the TPMS valves would it be best to swap them every time I change the wheels with the ones programmed or can I buy a second set. Will the second set automatically sync with the car or do they have to be programmed individually with the serial number on the valve?

What is the procedure with these?
Last edited by probbins2000 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
V6 Coupe British Racing Green

Yousif

Post by Yousif »

As long as the TPMS is the correct frequency a second set should pair automatically.
F Type 3.0V6 auto, Caldera Red, 20" Turbines, parking, visibility packs, heated steering, seats, keyless entry, folding mirrors, red seat belts.
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

The main dealer has told me I need a second set of TMPS at £60+vat each then I will have to pair them individually with the car using the unique code on each valve. also when I swap the wheels back I will need the codes off the existing wheels (tyres off again and rebalance) and same procedure. I asked if all 8 could be paired but apparently the car only has 5 slots at any one time. Also they seamed to know nothing about auto pairing.

confused!!
V6 Coupe British Racing Green
Nick

Post by Nick »

I am thinking of doing the same with a second set, after reading this I may just run the second set without the TPMS, I assume the car will cope.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

probbins2000 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 am The main dealer has told me I need a second set of TMPS at £60+vat each then I will have to pair them individually with the car using the unique code on each valve. also when I swap the wheels back I will need the codes off the existing wheels (tyres off again and rebalance) and same procedure. I asked if all 8 could be paired but apparently the car only has 5 slots at any one time. Also they seamed to know nothing about auto pairing.

confused!!
I've never heard of individual codes having to be "paired" with the car.
Plenty of members on the XE and F-Pace forums have got themselves a set of wheels and winter tyres and provided the sensors are compatible they talk to the car.
Never heard of things having to be paired individually or as a whole.
At the end of the cold season they just put the summer wheels and tyres back on and carry on.
People have even used non-OEM sensors and provided they are compatible they work.
Just a flavour of what's out there.
https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/tpms-prod ... gJgsfD_BwE
mokster

Post by mokster »

I am also looking to have a second set of TPMS sensors in the winter set of tyres and wheels but have been told by the main dealer the technicians have had problem pairing the second set previously on other cars.

However, given the new law on TPMS warning lights and MOT failure, would it be "illegal" to drive with the TPMS warning light on the dash? This sound mad but I take it that if a car would fail MOT then it's not road legal.

There isn't any clear statement / article about driving with TPMS warning light on, only MOT failure.
Yousif

Post by Yousif »

I have a summer set which the car came with (18") and bought a winter set off fleabay (genuine Jag 20" wheels with TPMS sensors). Did have problems auto pairing the second set at first but in any case the summer set always re-pair automatically when they are put back on. Just put the winters on again but switched the rear wheels round this time and they seem to have paired this time as the light has not come on in 300 miles and I have a pressure reading.

I was happy enough to drive the winters with the warning light on but if MoT was due I would have replaced with the 18" wheels.
F Type 3.0V6 auto, Caldera Red, 20" Turbines, parking, visibility packs, heated steering, seats, keyless entry, folding mirrors, red seat belts.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post