Engine fail on a F-Type R AWD after only 11,000 miles

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

11k miles and still under warranty - no service book supplied and no dipstick other than the electronic one which can play up and takes time to load. Did you get a low oil warning light? An offer of 70% is hardly satisfactory from Jaguar but I would be pursuing the servicing dealer for the remainder.

This sort of behaviour is what I would expect to see from a two bit insurance company - it’s not what you expect from Jaguar IMHO.
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!

Treborman

Post by Treborman »

More information

Apparently it was a guiding wheel for the drive chain. This in my opinion is something that is not at all linked to servicing and is a manufacturing fault.

I'm not happy to have to pay for this. Does anyone have a contact for management at JLR? ie the CEO/MD

No warning lights scoobydoo
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Can’t see how oil starvation can cause that.
More like a manufacturing fault surely?
IRR V8R
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

OK so no warning light and not servicing related. A clear component failure which should be covered by Jaguar's comprehensive warranty but they have only offered 70% of the cost. Simple case of trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities by finding a loophole in the servicing schedule which, in real terms, has nothing whatever to do with the failure of the component. The MD at Jaguar is Jeremy Hicks and his email address is :- jeremy.hicks@jaguarlandrover.com

I do hope that you can get the problem resolved to your entire satisfaction but, be prepared to consider legal action or Trading Standards involvement for what is, after all, goods of unmerchantable quality for which the manufacturer is attempting to renege on its legal obligations, citing totally irrelevant reasons for doing so.

As per my previous post, the sort of behaviour one might expect from a two bit insurance company but hardly expected from Jaguar on a £90k plus vehicle.

Do they really expect owners of the F-Type to buy more Jaguar cars when they treat a customer like this?
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
Treborman

Post by Treborman »

Thank you for words Scoobydoo.

This is my third consecutive £60k plus vehicle from JLR, I really do expect more. Customer relations has been lousy too, not getting back to me when they say they will and giving me misinformation. There has been a lot of passing the buck between repair centre and customer relations. No one will put in writing the fault and no one will tell me the cause of the fault. The whole experience seems so disjointed and of course is extremely frustrating.

I am now at the stage where I would actively deter anyone I know from buying any JLR product. It's supposed to be a premium brand and they treat customers like this.

I have a plan to ask to keep the faulty engine in order to get a proper diagnosis of the fault which I will of course share here along with any pictures.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

Frankly unacceptable and a little concerning given my car is a very similar age and mileage. They are taking the piss and I would dig my heels in. Porsche occasionally pull similar stunts but usually these things get resolved when someone higher up gets contacted. Have courage in your convictions

Rhodium Silver V8R AWD
V8FTW

Post by V8FTW »

^ that’s not Jeremy’s email address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F-TYPE R, Carbon Ceramics + Forged Wheels, ALL the Carbon Fibre - Mirrors, Side Power Vents, Bonnet Vents, Front Splitter & Interior Console
V8FTW

Post by V8FTW »

The cheek of JLR, I have seen them sell their own pre-prod cars into the dealer network that have not been serviced on time

F-TYPE R, Carbon Ceramics + Forged Wheels, ALL the Carbon Fibre - Mirrors, Side Power Vents, Bonnet Vents, Front Splitter & Interior Console
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Treborman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm Thank you for words Scoobydoo.

This is my third consecutive £60k plus vehicle from JLR, I really do expect more. Customer relations has been lousy too, not getting back to me when they say they will and giving me misinformation. There has been a lot of passing the buck between repair centre and customer relations. No one will put in writing the fault and no one will tell me the cause of the fault. The whole experience seems so disjointed and of course is extremely frustrating.

I am now at the stage where I would actively deter anyone I know from buying any JLR product. It's supposed to be a premium brand and they treat customers like this.

I have a plan to ask to keep the faulty engine in order to get a proper diagnosis of the fault which I will of course share here along with any pictures.
Good plan - an independent engineers report will soon highlight what failed.

Sadly, it's only when something like this happens that us customers find out just how good companies are at honouring their obligations.

I am just about to change my ageing Ford and, frankly, this sort of shoddy behaviour from Jaguar is precisely why they will not be on my list of potential replacements. Given your loyalty to the brand they really need to step up and do more for you but my experience of the CRC was also far from satisfactory so other action may well be called for.

I wish you every success in obtaining a satisfactory outcome and I hope that Jaguar quickly see the total unfairness of their current response to you. Do keep us posted.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

V8FTW wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:07 pm ^ that’s not Jeremy’s email address

I got it from the CEO/MD contact website but I'm sorry if it's incorrect. I'll have a look elsewhere and report back.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post