Appalling Build Quality

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Mostly Harmless

Post by Mostly Harmless »

Hi, new to the forum.

I've owned a 16 plate Coupe S from new and although I've have had many visits to the dealer and lost hours emailing JLR I'm not an inch further forward than I was 18 months ago in respect of getting a number of quality issues sorted

Amongst a very long list of problems the two biggies are the fit of the passenger door, and the wind noise from the drivers door.

Whilst the drivers door sweeps into the sill the passenger door has a 12mm gap along the bottom edge. The image below doesnt really do justice to the scale of the gap. Last time the car went into the dealer (Hatfield, Hull) I spent an hour with the service and body shop managers discussing the issue and they had the car for 3 days. It came back exactly the same.

The drivers door suffers from a constant wind whistle from 25mph upwards which turns into a loud buzz at 60mph, dont even ask what it sounds like at 165mph on the autobahn.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has similar issues.

Senninha

Post by Senninha »

It's such a shame to read yet another of these panel alignment issues. Mine had no wind noise issues however the bottom of the passenger door wasn't perfect, less so then yours. Based on many posts of similar door issues, and because mine was dark grey it wasn't obvious, I choose to ignore.

What I did have attended to was the very poor front bumper to wheel arch alignment. I was at Gaydon last month and looked at around a dozen cars and only 2 had good alignment.

Both issues reflect badly on Jaguars claim that all of these cars pass stringent quality control before leaving the factory and that these types of issues, if they do reach the stealers will be corrected at the PDI stage ... Epic fail at both stages.

I hope they fix the issues and you continue to enjoy your F-type ....

Off topic .. My autobahn max was 183 but not in the F-type ....
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I had the same problem with the passenger door. Marshall Jaguar Lincoln attempted to fix it but in the end 2 techs from Jaguar came over to the dealership to sort it out. I had to do most of the work regarding writing to Jaguar and sending photographs to them. The fix is not perfect but “within manufacturing tolerances”. I’ve seen lots of showroom cars with similar problems. I’m sure Jaguar are aware of the problem hence the “response team”.
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

There is a long running thread on these door problems, I suffered the same but got it fixed and much better now albeit not perfect

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1270
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Having come from a few Lotus Exiges, I find the build quality of the Jag outstanding!
A few squeaks here and there, but that’s nowt compared to Lotus...

My 2014 car has near perfect panel alignment, however.
IRR V8R
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Sorry to read about your build quality issues. Not getting issues fixed first time by the dealer once spotted is always a big stress raiser.

Time to talk direct to JLR perhaps??
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
OB123

Post by OB123 »

for what its worth - ive come back to jag from a 911.2 C4 (which i only had for 9 months - ouch) and i have to say the build quality of the Jag is miles ahead that of the Porsche (which i know is massively counter intuitive as we always hear how well built Porsches are) So far no rattles or squeaks from the Jag (touch wood) whereas the Porsche went back to the dealer three times for rattles to be sorted (the dealer even had a rattles expert on hand to help diagnose the causes)
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

OB123 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:48 am ......... (the dealer even had a rattles expert on hand to help diagnose the causes)
Was his name Shakin Stevens? :lol:
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
OB123

Post by OB123 »

nice :D
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I had similar issues with the doors and ended up having to get the paintwork on the door sorted out too. Jaguar ultimately paid for it. I also had to have the panels in front of the doors replaced as they had begin to tear due to poor fit from factory and therefore were too stressed.

It does depend on the dealer in my experience if you need issues sorted and their relationship with Jaguar. Have you contacted Jaguar customer services directly?

18 months is crazy and your gaps look worse than mine. The doors seem to be a real problem for some.

What about a decent body shop? They will have experience of such things and may be able to sort the doors. You would have to pay of course, but if you like the car and it's driving you mad....

Otherwise i'd be sadly trading it for something else.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.