Frozen doors

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

I have been experiencing problems opening my doors in this freezing weather. Not only do the handles not flip out as they should, but the windows don't drop. When I eventually get the door open, which takes a fair bit of brute strength, it is then impossible to close again. I have never had this happen with any of my previous cars. Is this a common problem with the F type ?
P300 R Dynamic - 2021
British Racing Green Metallic
Pano Roof
20" Wheels Dark Grey Diamond Turned Finish.
Lots of extras.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Angie,
No, I’m sure it’s not uncommon - I’ve experienced all those issues too and it feels like you’re going to break the handle off doesn’t it! 😳
For the lock / handle a puffer bottle of graphite dust is probably best, and for the glass freezing to the rubber seal try some Wurth Rubber Fit.
I used to have the same problems in Switzerland and these two bits of winter kit used to be invaluable!
Hope this helps.
Simon.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

A wipe around all the seals with Gummi pfledge and they’ll never ice closed again. Another Wurth product
Part of my Autumn car routine
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

Thanks guys. I will try these.
P300 R Dynamic - 2021
British Racing Green Metallic
Pano Roof
20" Wheels Dark Grey Diamond Turned Finish.
Lots of extras.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Thanks for the tips with the products. Although not sure it will help with the window freezing issue.

My doors have frozen three times this winter. Before Christmas they wouldn't open even after running the engine (via InControl) for 20 minutes.
In all cases the handles popped out without a problem, but the doors and windows were frozen solid and I wasn't going to apply additional force to opening them.

This morning the doors actually opened with no effort, but then I noticed the window hadn't dropped. So I couldn't close the doors properly, without slamming and causing potential damage. It seems that water gets inside the door and seals and freezes very easily.

I also noted yesterday morning (Sunday 6th Jan 18) after a very cold night the bottom of the door is no longer flush with the body. This suggests too much water is sitting at the bottom of the door seal and freezing.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I use some silicone spray on the seals (wipe it on with a cloth) before winter, especially as the f-type doors dont open properly unless the window is allowed to drop i believe.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Did you also apply to the silicon to the door waist seals where the window drops into the door. That appears to be the main place it's freezing.

Annoyingly, when I did eventually get in my car and drove to work, I had to listen to ice rattling around inside the door all the way there :x
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Stanza wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 am Did you also apply to the silicon to the door waist seals where the window drops into the door. That appears to be the main place it's freezing.

Annoyingly, when I did eventually get in my car and drove to work, I had to listen to ice rattling around inside the door all the way there :x
I tend to do all the seals and the rubbers for the convertible roof too.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.