Another Oil Specification Question

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Noticed the oil level is maybe 1/3 the way down, so was thinking of topping up until I noticed that you shouldn't add more oil unless big brother tells you to.

Then went on to Topix and for my 14MY car there is an owners manual issue 1 (13/02/2013), and an owners manual issue 2 (23.04.2013).

There are also supplements (08/04/2013 and 19/09/2013 respectively) for each version of the manual.

What I find strange is that both versions of the manual only mention the 0W-20 STJLR.51.5122 oil.

The subsequently posted Supplements mention the WSS-M2C925 5W-20 as the oil of choice, but if unavailable you can use the 0W-20.

I was under the impression that the Ford oil was used originally, but the Jag spec. one had superseded it - but the above says the opposite.

It also means that version 2 of the manual went back on what was changed in the supplement for vesion 1!

Anyone have any better knowledge of this - basically, is the 5W-20 the best option?

It would be nice to get a proper answer on this, just in case of any warranty claim, but I'm wary of the answer I would get to a generic helpline email.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

The 12 litres I have ready for service and top up is 'Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 (Jaguar)' as on the delivery note from Broughton Lubricants.

This has been discussed a while back so a search should find it.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Jaguar can't seem to make their minds up.
This subject is a bit like herding cats.
The latest (My 18) manual still recommends the 0w-20 but you can use the 5w-20.
But if you use the car in temps below -20 you should use the 0w-20
:roll:
What is interesting is that in my repmobile I have exactly the same 380 V6 as in the F-Type but my manual only mentions the 0w-20.
I don't have the 5w-20 option mentioned at all.

Screenshot-2018-1-1 Jaguar Owner Information.png

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

So the main specification viscosity text is the opposite of that for the MY14 - although the recommended oil for lower temperatures is unchanged.

I just wonder if they had a lot of the 5W-20 oil in stock (or an obligation agreement in place) when the spec. was changed and they thought, nah we'll run it down then and be sure we make a profit on it.

I can't see that using 0W-20 in an older MY engine can be a bad thing.

...but then, are you feeling lucky punk????
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post