Disabling Keyless Entry

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
AsifG

Post by AsifG »

JurassicF wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 pm I also was unable to do this using the process outlined above.
Thanks - interesting to see it wasn't just me!

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I've just tried the above instructions to disable my keyless entry to no avail. I called my local Indy dealer, who said it is part of the start module and can't be disabled or the car won't start either.
Getting mixed messages here, my UK 2016 model Ftype R won't respond. Who can give expert advice?
Also I bought a faraday pouch, with the keys sealed in it the door handles still popped open right outside the shop. Instant refund! Can anyone point me to a really good pouch known to work well that I can put a bunch of keys in?
Cheers.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I brought these (2-pack) with keys in pouch the car wont open even with pouch against the door handle.
HTH

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Thanks simpleR, I've ordered these.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

The faraday pouches arrived already and work well. With hindsight, the one I tried before may have had a slot in front of the isolating material, which I might not have spotted. That could explain the failure.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Don't want to jump the thread, but am I correct that to open your car you have to be around 1 metre away & to lock it the same. I am talking keyless. If I am correct then that means the key signal is good for 1 metre or so. Then if someone is walking around your house perimeter with a receiver it can only detect if you are stupid enough to leave your keys in the doorway or window sill. All our keys are almost 5 meters from the perimeter of the house so should be safe. Or someone tell me I have it all wrong. I know my Ducati motorcycle is also keyless & I have often left it on the workbench & tried to turn bike on & it wouldn't . That is about 1.5 meters away from transponder.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

According to workshop manual the cars sensors in each door work for up to 1.2m and the boot 1.0m. I guess that is logical based on the length of your arm! However typical smart keys according to Thatcham can work for up to 2.2m from an article posted by them.

However, if you have a battery drain related issue then Jaguar perform a procedure called "Quiescent Drain" test. As part of that test it says that the keys must be more than 5m away from the car. I don't know why (and that is from the XE but presume the same across JLR as it's the same smart key).

Most of the relay thefts on video channels, news, etc show one thief at the car and the other by a door or window which would suggest the keys are nearby inside however for the sake of £7.99 for two pouches I am not taking the risk personally. (Don't forget your spare keys!).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I totally agree with what you say. We had an Evoque HSE dynamic lux with the same system last year & I used to take the fob to bed but as said by others why risk your life. Let them take it & live another day. Hey that sounds like the pun for a new film. Oh done already.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

steviegtr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 pm Don't want to jump the thread, but am I correct that to open your car you have to be around 1 metre away & to lock it the same. I am talking keyless. If I am correct then that means the key signal is good for 1 metre or so. Then if someone is walking around your house perimeter with a receiver it can only detect if you are stupid enough to leave your keys in the doorway or window sill.
That would be true if the sensitivity of the receiver were exactly the same as the car (which is designed to respond at around 1 metre.).

If I were a techy car thief, I would design my fiendish box to be at least 25 x more sensitive - so it would pick up key signals from at least 5 metres away.

You might think the chip in your credit card will only respond when very close to a receiver...

...well that also depends on the design of the receiver.

Sweet dreams.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
Aard

Post by Aard »

You can also put the fob in a tin can to prevent transmitting the signal
F-Type P300 R-Dynamic 2018 Pano-Roof - Silicon Silver
Audi TT 2.0 TFSI ProLine Quattro S-Tronic - Phantom Black
Audi A4 1.8 FSI S-Edition Avant - Dayton Grey
Pinball STTNG

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post