Buzzing on acceleration and grate on turning right

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I'm taking my F Type in for some window remedial work and at the same time asked them to look at 2 strange noises, but prefer to know what something is myself rather than pay to be told, then find it's not waranty, etc.

Problem 1
Turning gently to the right with a little speed so a traffic island type situation I get a grating scraping sound from the front NS. I immediately think disk dust cover touching disk, stone in pad, etc. but can see nothing. New pads 6 months ago, brakes perfectly. Doesntt happen on left turn, braking or accelerating. Not heat dependant. Any other ideas?

Problem 2
Accelerate gently and there is a buzz from somewhere behind the NS firewall area, behind the passenger seat. It's not a vibration, almost a motor spinning up. The frequency of it matches the accelerating so if I lift off it slows, accelerate it rises. Obviously only noticeable on gentle throttle as engine drown it when more harsh use of throttle
Could it be a fuel pump, or similar? I know the active exhaust is back there but it's not being operated

Any ideas on the above would be interesting to have
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Wheel bearing?
Noises can be difficult to pinpoint and even more difficult to diagnose via the internet. Try having a passenger search for the source while you try to replicate it.

A little more info of Year, mileage, AWD, RWD, does noise alter with passenger?
davidd

Post by davidd »

Does the buzzing sound like it’s coming from inside the car ?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Aitch wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 am Wheel bearing?
Noises can be difficult to pinpoint and even more difficult to diagnose via the internet. Try having a passenger search for the source while you try to replicate it.

A little more info of Year, mileage, AWD, RWD, does noise alter with passenger?
Wheel bearingis possible. I'll jack it up and feel although i appreciate they can be hard to identify
Problem 1 def. external as people looked in the street today..

Agree re passenger searching but I'm confident I roughly know the location of both noises. Inside car are real hard and they always appear to be from elsewhere

2013, 50k miles, RWD.
Both noises same with passenger and or full or low on fuel
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

davidd wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 am Does the buzzing sound like it’s coming from inside the car ?
Yes inside, but not inside the cabin. More like top NS of boot or possibly above wheel arch liner (although that would be outside). Seems like behind passenger sear headrest height
It's an odd one
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Aren't there a couple of speakers located behind the seats that can sometimes set up a rattle?

Coupe or convertible?
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello ...

Just a thought could it be the rear spoiler compressor ? as there is a bulletin fix for this .. my model does not use the spoiler vacuum unit as they removed it and use Vacuum from the engine.
anyway just a quick thought
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Had an Alfa a while ago that had a stone trapped between the disk and the back plate, no amount of wiggling the back plate through the spokes would shift it, but it eventually came out after a bit of hammering with the wheel removed. More of a squeeling/screeching noise though.

My plastic seatbelt guide on the passenger side used to buzz at certain speeds, pretty obvious it was inside the car though and just needed a bit of packing to stop the vibration. I've had tyres that whined and sounded like dodgy bearings in the past. Quite hard to spot on the car, but with the wheel removed one end of some tread blocks were very slightly raised. Isolated this problem to the wheels/tyres by coasting in neutral down hill to remove the engine transmission involvement at the time. Good luck hope you solve it!
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Thanks guys
Some interesting ideas
Stone in wheel dust guard is still my favourite for that noise, but can’t replicate in the air
Council has surface grated our roads so for last few months I drive in a gravel bath....

Rear buzz. It’s def. a motor or similar spinning, not resonance, so the hunt will continue

Didn’t know the rear spoiler was air operated?? Even so i can’t see reason why noise would be linked to on and off throttle

Roadster for those who asked
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 am Thanks guys
Some interesting ideas
Stone in wheel dust guard is still my favourite for that noise, but can’t replicate in the air
Council has surface grated our roads so for last few months I drive in a gravel bath....

Rear buzz. It’s def. a motor or similar spinning, not resonance, so the hunt will continue

Didn’t know the rear spoiler was air operated?? Even so i can’t see reason why noise would be linked to on and off throttle

Roadster for those who asked
Hello my mistake .. the spoiler is electric, i should have referred to the active exhaust valves they are vacuum controlled
sorry for the confusion

regards