Oil usage V8

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
davidd

Post by davidd »

It seems that the oil usage is due to a slightly dippy bit of garage floor! I'm pretty certain it's not using any I just now need to understand why it reads directly when drive it in than when I reverse it in when the floor seems to be level!

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

In terms of why measurement is taken a few minutes after stopping from hot is simple and logical.
Oil expands by around 4% from cold to op temp (depends on how cold of course)
It runs at op and so needs measuring then, but needs a few minutes to drain to a correct level

As an aside more oil in an engine is way more dangerous than too little due to crank splashing, foaming etc. so never add cold, on a slope or a bit more ‘to be safe’
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
daveyc86

Post by daveyc86 »

Similar oil usage to the OP in my V8R. Just added half a litre to top up. Did a cold check with the bonnet open.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Was always given a spare litre of oil from the Stealership after an oil change, however never used a drop in over 3 years of hooning...
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩