2.0 Exhaust and Power Loss

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Perky33

Post by Perky33 »

Hi Folks,

My 2.0 litre F Type is now a grand 3 months old with 4750 miles on the clock.

The exhaust is noticeably quieter then when I first got it, it pops and bangs way less, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as powerful.

My dealer cant look at it until April (or rather they don't have a loan car until April - that's a month away!) so I wondered if any other 2.0 litre drivers have experienced this?

Have a few other issues with the car as well, but this is the main one really as it completely takes away from the driving pleasure.

Any suggestions are greatly received.
F Type Coupé, 2.0 R Dynamic
Caldera Red, Panoramic Roof plus extras...

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Shell V power and Tesco Momentum are good for pops and bangs, but not a such a significant change in power. Hope you get it sorted out, it's a bit of a pain if you have to wait a month to get it looked at, though. You'd hope they could just have a quick look at it on a Saturday morning to see if it was something simple like a vacuum pipe coming loose or something.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Perky33 I collected my new one on Tuesday, drove it straight to the detailers for ceramic coating , have to say it was a 2 1/2 hr drive lovely, sorry to here of your issue, hopefully just a bit of teething issues and you'll get sorted.
What other issues are you having
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
Perky33

Post by Perky33 »

So the dealer is going to take a quick look next week. Have tried V Power (but not Momentum yet) and I think its more of a fault. When you press the loud button there isn't much of a change in exhaust tone, so I guess that the valve must have a problem. We will see, and I hop that's what is causing the decrease in power.

As for other issues, bizarrely the doors wont close when the weather is cold (below zero), the touchscreen jams, sometimes goes blank and sometimes it goes all wonky (like it stretches).

There is a scuttle shake when accelerating hard, or decelerating (on over run) at about 2500 rpm than comes from the engine and run through the chassis - i'm not sure if this engine has counter balance shafts, but if it does it feels like they are running out of synch.

So a few bits that need to be sorted. Which is a shame as I like the car, the looks, driving position etc. Hopefully with the issues resolved I will fall back in love with it.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Good to hear that the dealer is going to have a quick look next week. At least you should know what's involved in getting it sorted out.

There are some posts on here about coating the door seals with Gummi Pfledge, which others have found helpful in cold weather. Seems to affect some cars and not others. Mine's tucked up in the garage at the moment so I can't compare.

My screen used to go blank when hitting the steering wheel volume up button (turns the radio on) and then switching the radio off. Locking the car and waiting 10 minutes would reboot the system back to normal. Cured by a software patch at the first service, I think. No problems with it since, or in our XE which is identical. I expect your dealer will either update the software or replace the unit. I've found aftersales to be very good, although I've no experience of Harwoods as I use HA Fox Guildford.

Hopefully, you have it all back on top form when spring arrives and going and sounding like an F type should again.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

I had problems with the touch screen but there was a new software version (3) released in January and that completely fixed the display issues. It's also faster so well worth getting them to upgrade it.
Perky33

Post by Perky33 »

Thanks for the messages, the car is now fixed...

The car had new software in December. Apparently there is a known fault where the screen goes all weird. Its now had a new screen fitted.

There is also a known fault with the doors not shutting in freezing weather, its do with the cables in the door freezing, so the dealer lubricated them.

As for the lack of power, noise and popping, it was the exhaust solenoid. So, its had a new rear box fitted.

Car is back up to where it should be. Am a bit disappointed with the number of issues so far, but the smile is slowly coming back.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post