Pilot Sport 4S - 19" fronts

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
captainham

Post by captainham »

Hi all,

For those that are running this tyre on 19" wheels, what size have you gone for on the front?

The original Pirellis are 245/40 but Michelin only do a 245 in either a 35 or 30.
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

You could try playing with the different size options to see the effects here:

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/advice-and-tip ... Calculator
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

captainham wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 am For those that are running this tyre on 19" wheels, what size have you gone for on the front?
The original Pirellis are 245/40 but Michelin only do a 245 in either a 35 or 30.
I see the Ps4 is available in your size.
Is the 4S that much different?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

It is supposed to be a small improvement all round - especially in tyre life.
Not put them on the front yet, but I'm on 20" anyway.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... rt-4-S.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... port-4.htm
Last edited by Lunar on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

PhilB wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:02 am
captainham wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 am For those that are running this tyre on 19" wheels, what size have you gone for on the front?
I see the Ps4 is available in your size.
Is the 4S that much different?
Totally different tyre and not to be confused

From Michelin reviewer:

The PS4S is Michelin’s 4th-generation Pilot Sport UHP summer tire, carrying on the legacy of the original Pilot Sport, the Pilot Sport PS2 and the Pilot Super Sport. Michelin also has the new Pilot Sport 4. That tire doesn’t hold the same ultimate performance focus as the PS4S and is exclusively a European-market tire, outside of a handful of OEM applications.
That’s why there is an ‘S’ in ‘PS4S,’ signifying a level of performance beyond the Pilot Sport 4, similar to Porsche’s badging scheme for the 911 Carrera S versus the standard 911 Carrera.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
captainham

Post by captainham »

Thanks all...will take a look at other sizes that I can use instead. I have 20s on at the moment but I'm (thankfully) approaching the end of the road with the original Pirellis and can't wait to get rid of them. That, plus the fact I had my original 19s resprayed in "smoked chrome" ages ago and I can't wait to see what they finally look like when they're on the car!

And it means I can send my Gyrodynes to have all the kerbing damage sorted...
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

I also have P zeros on my 19" wheels. They have a few thou miles left in them, but am contemplating what to put on next.

I note 'Unhingd', on the forum across the pond, suggests that 235/40-19 can be put on the front. The calculator Aitch links to above, seems to agree.

PS 4S seems a popular choice, but I wonder how they would perform in the UK between November and April. It tends to be wet much more often than it is frozen.

OK. I admit it. I'm too lazy to contemplate running 2 sets of tyres on my F.

Have others run on them through a UK type winter? How did you get on?
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

I’m on brand new PS4’s, and even in the recent cold and wet they are so far removed from the utter gash that are Pirelli’s, it’s unreal!

I honestly can’t believe a tyre can make such a huge difference to a car.
IRR V8R
captainham

Post by captainham »

P4S ordered, and in the nick of time as I'm down to about 2mm on the rears and still got about 700 miles to do before the tyres can finally be fitted.

I've always thought the Pirellis were rubbish (gentle oversteer on a barely wet road whilst doing 20mph, with plenty of meat left on the tyre and I was NOT hooning around, really convinced me of that fact), and everyone seems to rave about the Michelins so I'm looking forward to it.

Car is a right handful at the moment and since the theft of my Fiesta ST the other week, I'm doing 350 miles a week in the Jag commuting between London and Leicester in the week so they can't come sooner.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Zyp wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 pm I’m on brand new PS4’s, and even in the recent cold and wet they are so far removed from the utter gash that are Pirelli’s, it’s unreal!

I honestly can’t believe a tyre can make such a huge difference to a car.
Yep, what he said ...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2329
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post