Battery Care when car is unused

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
David

Post by David »

I am away on business sometimes for periods of upto 6 weeks and have nobody to start my car.

Does anyone have any recommendations for maintaining the battery condition whilst the car is not in use without having to disconnect the battery?

Thanks

Selborne

Post by Selborne »

Hi David,

I always store my cars over winter sometimes up to three months, the battery is not normally my major concern, however if I am not using the car for more than a month I connect it to a battery conditioner, which cycles the battery to keep in the best condition. I use he CTEK type which is great.

More important than the battery (from experience) is pump up your tyres to 45/50psi, as they are performance tyres and soft, if you leave them at normal pressure they can develop flat spots. Also fill your fuel tank to the brim with premium fuel, something like shell nitro plus, this prevents condensation gathering in the fuel tank. Lastly, when the car is parked leave the hand brake off, if it is on a slope chock the wheels and leave in park, this stops the brake disk from warping and reduces the chances of the pad sticking to the disk.

When you return to the car, remember to start it gently, give it a few minutes to warm up, best if you have the time to let it get to normal temperature before driving, this gives everything time to expand together and the oil chance to get into all areas and remember to put your tyre pressure back to normal !!

I hope this is of help

Jamie
Selborne

Post by Selborne »

Sorry David, this charger;

The one above is the one I use for my motorcycle.
Confused
Selborne

Post by Selborne »

?Confused?
dave_webb

Post by dave_webb »

Maybe a daft question but I'm happy to ask anyway.... do you need to disconnect the battery as would rather leave the alarm etc enabled, if so can you connect a conditioner with the boot closed so the lights not on, what do other people do?

Am interested in this topic as currently using the car as a daily drive but have plans to shortly just use it when dry and so it may be a few weeks between runs.

Any thoughts appreciated.

cheers,

dave

Selborne

Post by Selborne »

Hi Dave,
You leave the battery connected to the car, just connect the conditioner directly to the battery terminals, I use a bolt on solution with a flexible plug that is then available in the boot. The wired then just come out the boot to the rear and I shut the boot, so the wire is trapped in the rubber seal, works fine.
You can leave the car 4 to 6 weeks without the need to run the conditioner, as Jaguar software was up dated in 2011 to ensure that the battery does not run down to quickly. Much over 4 week, I use a conditioner.
More imprtant for longer storage is, leave the parking brake off, as they can stick tot he disk and warp the profile of the disk over time, fill the fuel tank up with premium fuel to reduce condensation and pump the tyres up to 50psi (just remeber to lower them again when you next use it), this stops flat spots on the tyres.
Hope this is of help,
Jamie
dave_webb

Post by dave_webb »

Thanks Jamie, that's very useful info, had hoped I wouldn't have to disconnect the battery and could shut the boot! To be honest if batteries last 4-6 weeks without a conditioner I may not need one as it will never be that long before I need to take the F type out for a run.... but as the battery gets older, I may do. Our old 2002 MGTF 160 only lasted a couple of weeks and then the battery was flat.

cheers, dave

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I've just bought one of the ctek conditioners as mine keeps moaning about battery low start engine :(

As these cars have two batteries apparently, how do you charge the small starter battery if you connect it directly to the battery visible in the boot? The instructions for the jaguar trickle charger mention some special points in the boot. I've been using the official points under the bonnet which apparently charge both batteries....
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Selborne

Post by Selborne »

Hi Daytona,
As I understand it the car has a battery management system, which ensure that the starter battery is always the last to go flat in the event of a long period of non activity, therefore if you maintain the main battery in the boot with a charger, the car will realise and draw power from the main battery if required.
I left my car charging on it main battery through the winter and after 5 months, I went to the car and it started with no warnings or alarms.
If you are concerned it might be worth contacting your dealer and asking for specific advice, but maintaining the main battery works just fine for meThumbs Up
Cheers
Jamie

Selborne2014-05-09 12:19:09
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Hi Daytona,
As I understand it the car has a battery management system, which ensure that the starter battery is always the last to go flat in the event of a long period of non activity, therefore if you maintain the main battery in the boot with a charger, the car will realise and draw power from the main battery if required.

I left my car charging on it main battery through the winter and after 5 months, I went to the car and it started with no warnings or alarms.

If you are concerned it might be worth contacting your dealer and asking for specific advice, but maintaining the main battery works just fine for meThumbs Up
Cheers
Jamie

Cool. That's what I needed to know. Much easier to install in the boot! Thanks for the advice, good to have someone who's already done it :). My ctek charger comes on Monday so an easy install hopefully.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post