Battery Care when car is unused

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Float charging...

The F-type employs two batteries located in the boot; one for the stop/start and the other for the main circuit.
Both batteries I believe are AGM, acid gel batteries. Although I think judging on the size the stop/start assy it my be a Lithium ion.

I believe that you can charge BOTH batteries by hooking up to the common point under the bonnet.

A battery management system or BMS manages the normal current distribution to the batteries to maintain them during normal driving. When the ignition is switched off however, the smaller stop/start battery is disconnected from the main supply circuit via a gateway module that constantly monitors the smaller battery's voltage.

I still need to delve into the circuits a little further to be 100%. So long as you connect the negative of your Optimate, Ctek or what have you to the earth/neg stud on the chassis and the positive to the stud shown on Fig.7, you should be OK....
See here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/6gasarph66d67a5/JAF_0048_1E_-_Battery_Charging_Kit.pdf

I have several vehicles radio control planes et al that are float charged prior to me going away for up to 6 weeks at a time. I disconnect the neg only from the battery, and reconnect when I come home. My experience has been positive, without any flats.
I'm yet to try this approach on the Jaguar as I haven't got it yet (Have I Westbourne :-) ) I would prefer not to leave electricity on when I'm away...just in case...or maybe I'll employ the other half to put it on float every week or so?

KABOOOMCensored!

Can anyone get hold of a workshop service manual I wonder? Being a engineering/electroniccy type I like this kind of thing!

Tel2014-05-20 22:09:14
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Tel, I've just installed my ctek to the points in the boot documented in the jaguar doc for their charger and it works fine. The ctek terminals on their cable need adjusting to get a good fit, but it's a 30 min job if your setup ready to fit and have a drill for the ctek terminals.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Dayton650, sweet, that's what I'll be doing with mine.
I am only in the UK for half the year, so need something to keep it 'afloat'.
I will be installing a subtly hidden plug somewhere as I'm not keen putting leads carrying power (albeit low voltage stuff) under boot lids.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

So I've just moved into a new place where the car will be able to be kept right out front, of the street, which means I may be able to occasionally run power to a battery conditioner when the weather is okay, as the cable will need to go outside.

Would anyone have any advice on whether or not there is any benefit to occasionally running a battery conditioner as opposed to never if the car is being on used for three months? I'm thinking a day at a time when possibleSammyV6S2017-01-21 08:18:05
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
Arne

Post by Arne »

If it is not being used for three months, I would use a battery conditioner once a month just in case.

I do that, and it reaches fully charged in typically 5-7 hours when it has sat for a month without being used. I use a Ctek charger/conditioner, and attach it to the battery in the trunk. The Ctek is placed outside the trunk, and the wires to the battery are small enough to close the trunk without damaging the wires.

Arne2017-01-21 09:12:14
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thanks Arne

Exactly what I wanted to know, sounds as though I can use it to fully recharge the battery once a month instead of leaving it constantly connected !

MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
steveh

Post by steveh »

I have a car I don't use from November til March and leave it on a conditioner all the time. Have done so for seven years, all OK so far.🤞
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Despite using my car throughout last winter, I've decided to be kind to it this year and avoid the worst of it (last year wasn't cold at all and not much salt around down here).

Santa brought me a Ctek MKS 5.0, as recommended on here, which connected up easy peasy with the help of BigBri's photos.

http://www.ftypeownersclub.co.uk/forum/battery-charging_topic2266_page2.html.  ;

I'm using the Ctek 3 metre extension and routing it out of the car as Arne shows in his photo (The standard lead Ctek supply is a bit short) . Except I've drilled a hole through the rear of the plastic boot box and used a standard rubber grommit from an electrical patch box around the wire coming through.

I know the battery survives easily for 3 weeks without use, but I'd rather not have to start worrying about it. I can leave the Ctek connected permanently, otherwise I'd probably give the battery a boost every couple of weeks.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Arne

Post by Arne »

I can have mine connected permanently as it is in my private garage. But when it only needs 5-7 hours to reach fully charged after 4-6 weeks of sitting still, I have not found that neccessary.

I did this last winter and I am doing it this winter, and with no problens what so ever.

Last weekend I also started the engine for the first time since October (and 4 weeks since last battery charging). It started right up, and I let it run for a while (reaching full operating temperature on the engine). Then I connected the battery tenderer, and it took less than 5 hours to reach fully charged (it was allready full when I first time checked after 5 hours).

The F-type seems to store well
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

The neatest solution is to use the CTEK comfort indicator. It's easily wired in and gives the added bonus of a visual red, amber, green indication on how well charged your system is

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post