Battery Care when car is unused

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Looks nice and neat
Did you install this yourself? I'm always worried I'll make a mess of things
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.

SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

They also appear to make one with an app to check the battery status!
Which is the one feature missing from incontrol!

Not sure this is compatible with the appropriate charger for the F TYPE though, it appears to only work with CT5 start/stop, CT5 Time to go and CT5 Powersport

Could anyone tell me if the Time To Go is right for the F Type?
http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/CT5%20TIME%20TO%20GO

SammyV6S2017-01-24 09:30:09
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
Arne

Post by Arne »

The CT5 looks like a very nice Ctek charger. Mine is some years old now, but still works great. Should I however buy another in the future, the CT5 would certainly be high on the list.
I can't answere if it would work right for the F-type though, but I can't see why not?
Edit: it says:
Battery types 12V Pb, WET, MF, GEL, AGM, CA/CA
Battery capacity 20-160Ah
I do think the battery in the F-type is one of those (GEL?)

Arne2017-01-24 12:23:18
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Tel

Post by Tel »

It's AGM fitted to Jags.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thanks Tel. All good then!
So I guess my next question is going to be WHERE to hook up the CTEK to

I've read some posts indicating there are two batteries on the car and connecting the charger to the charge points under the bonnet charge both batteries, but connecting to the main battery under the boot will only charge the one battery, not the start/stop battery :S But in saying that, you all seem to have it connected to the rear battery without worry..

I also notice CTEK can supply a cable for charging the battery via the 12v socket, which would be the one in the front, not the one thats aftermarket fitted to the boot, I guess - thoughts on this, anyone?

Confusing!

SammyV6S2017-01-24 16:21:35
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

SammyV6S my advice would be to wire it the way Jaguar recommend. Mickjaguar referenced an earlier link I put on the forum some time ago which I repeat below.

The link should take you to a photo of where to wire it in and there is another link a little below the photo which takes you to Jaguars Topix site. There you will find the wiring instructions (but to be honest the colour photo shows it much clearer)

I guess you can wire direct to the large battery and I guess it will keep the smaller starter battery topped up as well. But for peace of mind - why not do it properly as it's the same amount of effort.

It's very easy to install and the comfort indicator is a push fit into a small hole you drill into the boot liner at a location of your choice.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thanks BigBri - I've been reading up on those topics too.

Looks as though the fuse box it wires into is under the boot lining then. Sounds straight forward..

I agree, doing it properly would be my preference, hence all the questions.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Just bought the MXS 5.0 and the comfort panel indicator. Thanks for your help guys.

CTEK have an Amazon store, so both were £65 after I applied a gift card I had lying around. Can't beat that, considering the Jaguar CTEK one is £180!

Still a tad nervous about playing with the car's wiring, but we'll see how I go! I may just cave and buy someone a case of beers  to install the damn thing for me.. any takers? ;)

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0SammyV6S2017-01-24 21:40:46
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

SammyV6S, I was a little bit apprehensive about connecting the Ctek wiring as I didn't want to lose any of my stored settings by disconnecting the battery etc. But it really is a doddle, by following BigBri's photo of where the two connections are made. It really is just the removal of two nuts and then dropping the connector spade rings over the respective bolt heads and doing up the nuts again. Nothing gets disconnected.

OK so you will probably need to make the holes in the Ctek connector spade rings wider to get them to go over the bolts, as I think the spade holes are 6.4mm and the bolts are probably 8mm (I used a file, because I couldn't be bothered to get my drill out - although Ctek do sell cables with larger connector spade diameters). Also the spades will need to be bent upward a little bit when the nuts are replaced as there's not much room for them to sit completely flat on the rail.

It probably took me about 20-30 minutes in all, which was mostly taken up by making the holes in the spades big enough and drilling a hole through the boot liner bucket for my connector to come through (the bucket and it's flock covering is pretty robust, so just drilling inwards from the back/outside just leaves a neat hole).
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mick!

The comfort connector I ordered has 8.4mm spade rings, so I guess that might save me the filing.

What did you use to drill a hole in the boot liner? One of those things you use to drill a cable style hole into wood?

Or did you just drill a small hole for only the cable and the comfort connector just sort of dangles about?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post