Battery Care when car is unused

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

My cable connector comes through a hole and just dangles loose in the boot box.

I think I used a wood drill bit, so I reckon the hole saw bits would work just the same. I actually drilled two holes and then used a rough file to join them into an oval (the box is pretty robust and not brittle) and then used a rubber grommit to protect the edges from chaffing the cable.

If you're fitting a socket connection into the side of the boot box, the only thing that might need some consideration is how much give there is for this to be screwed into place onto the removed box, once the other end of cables are hard wired to the battery end. Although I think the leads for the connection sockets are longer than the standard cable connector, so it's maybe not an issue.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thanks again Mick - will try this on the weekend
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
JohnGB

Post by JohnGB »

To stop the connector from just flopping around in the boot, you could use some self-adhesive velcro.

Stick the 'hook & loop' part onto the connector, you can then just press it onto the boot lining somewhere out of the way.

John
Stratus Grey V6S AWD Convertable, Black Pack, Tornado Wheels, Ivory Performance Seats, Blind Spot Monitoring, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel. - Gone but not forgotten.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thanks John - yeah I think that might be a good idea, will have to see just how dangly it is. It wont bother me unless I can hear it rattling around while I'm driving
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
JohnGB

Post by JohnGB »

If nothing else, sticking the connector out of the way might stop it getting caught up when putting things into or getting things out of the boot area.

Of course, Coupes have a larger boot area, but those of us with Convertibles need all the help we can get.

John
Stratus Grey V6S AWD Convertable, Black Pack, Tornado Wheels, Ivory Performance Seats, Blind Spot Monitoring, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel. - Gone but not forgotten.
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Installed mine in the 'bin' under the boot tray

Sorry sideways upload again from mobile :SSammyV6S2017-02-20 21:10:15
Tillywel

Post by Tillywel »

My F-type S was serviced by Jaguar 2 weeks ago . Driven 3 miles home and not used since. Tried to use it today but the electrics are dead. Have changed batteries in the keys but still nothing . I think the battery is is in the boot but how do I get into it?? I have used the manual key to open the door but how do I get into the boot to find the battery and try to recharge it? Car is 4 years old and 16000 miles on the clock. Help!!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

A search would give you the exact solutions but here is:
Open the bonnet and jump the car from the jump points under the bonnet just as your manual will advise.
Once started you can open the boot.
Trickle charge your battery then disconnect the earth for a few minutes.
This will shut the system down correctly although if your battery is flat that may well have the same effect.
Again do some searches you will find out all the reasons why.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scm

Post by scm »

What you need to do is get a booster battery connected to the terminals in the engine bay, your manual will have details, they're behind the right hand headlight. If you're still in warranty call Jaguar Assist and get them to sort it out.

It does sound as if you've got the dreaded OBD port drain which a lot on the US forum have experienced, seems if the OBD port session isn't disconnected properly it leads to a battery drain. The symptoms are that the light in the hazard warning switch never goes out.

Good luck!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Tillywel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:50 am My F-type S was serviced by Jaguar 2 weeks ago . Driven 3 miles home and not used since. Tried to use it today but the electrics are dead. Have changed batteries in the keys but still nothing . I think the battery is is in the boot but how do I get into it?? I have used the manual key to open the door but how do I get into the boot to find the battery and try to recharge it? Car is 4 years old and 16000 miles on the clock. Help!!
Did our assistance help?
One and only posting nice!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views