steering wheel

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

hi all

can you please advise about a heated steering wheel, if i have a ordinary (no heating) wheel and change for a heated is the wiring to the column the same, so just a plug in connection?

ta

davidd

Post by davidd »

I'm not sure there is a plug but I was told by a dealer that it could be done.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

The wiring certainly isn’t there to simply plug and play as I converted to an SVR wheel with heating.
In fact to make the other functions work I had to retrofit my controls into the new wheel and no heating
I have no doubt a dealer could fix it, but question if they would
For my part when it gets cold I may investigatie further
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Smurfworld

Post by Smurfworld »

gasgas wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 am hi all

can you please advise about a heated steering wheel, if i have a ordinary (no heating) wheel and change for a heated is the wiring to the column the same, so just a plug in connection?

ta
Hi gasgas,

I'm thinking of also doing this. Did you find out the answer and get it so the wheel is heated?
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

It is incredibly expensive to retrofit the heated option - your car will not have the heavy duty loom which supports the function, will mean replacing the loom which runs down steering column and into the back of the climate controls from memory

You can fit a heated steering wheel, but use your original cars buttons and loom inside the wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

dbv6s wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 am It is incredibly expensive to retrofit the heated option - your car will not have the heavy duty loom which supports the function, will mean replacing the loom which runs down steering column and into the back of the climate controls from memory

You can fit a heated steering wheel, but use your original cars buttons and loom inside the wheel
Your source info would be interesting. I did the wheel swap a couple of years ago but didn’t have time to research the heated element.
In previous cars I’ve simply run a heavy duty ignition fed led up the column and depending on luck either swapped slip rings or used an existing spare pin.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 am
dbv6s wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 am It is incredibly expensive to retrofit the heated option - your car will not have the heavy duty loom which supports the function, will mean replacing the loom which runs down steering column and into the back of the climate controls from memory

Your source info would be interesting. I did the wheel swap a couple of years ago but didn’t have time to research the heated element.
In previous cars I’ve simply run a heavy duty ignition fed led up the column and depending on luck either swapped slip rings or used an existing spare pin.
I think you've misunderstood. My interpretation is that yes, you can fit a heated wheel, but using the original buttons and loom would mean no way of switching the heater on. So, it's steering wheel with a heating element, but lacking the ability to activate it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:23 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 am

I think you've misunderstood. My interpretation is that yes, you can fit a heated wheel, but using the original buttons and loom would mean no way of switching the heater on. So, it's steering wheel with a heating element, but lacking the ability to activate it.
I don't think I misunderstood. If you can activate it by fitting a different loom then it's highly likely you can do exactly the same by adding an extra lead to the loom (on the outside of it) and connecting at each end. There may be software problems, but depends on how it's triggered
I was after a link to your reference source so I can investigate it. I have the full Topics manual so easy enough to track the wiring.
Out of interest did you price the loom?
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post