Steering angle sensor

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Yoted

Post by Yoted »

Hello all.

I noticed over the weekend that when reversing with my wheels straight, the reversing camera thinks the wheels are rotated by one turn of the steering wheel and shows the wrong course with the guides on the screen.

I spotted on another Jag forum that you could reset it on an S Type or something like that by starting the car, going full left lock, full right lock, full left lock, full right lock, then centre and turning off again.

Does anyone know if such a rigmarole might work on the F Type?

TIA
Ted

Bennno

Post by Bennno »

Dave - Son is now an apprentice tech at Jag, he hasn’t seen this before.

What’s happened to your 911gt3rs

Bennno
Yoted

Post by Yoted »

Hi Bennno... how many years has it been? :)

GT3RS went last year. Loved the car but it was time for some new experiences.

I'll try the lock-to-lock thing as I'm loathed to take it to the local dealer - they were just rude and inefficient on the one occasion I used them.
Viperhawke

Post by Viperhawke »

Hi there, any updates or resolution on this topic? My F-Type R is doing a similar but more dramatic curve on the screen in reverse when the wheels are straight. This seems to be setting off my DSC, Traction control, ABS, etc. I'm really hoping to be able to reset the steering angle sensor. Thanks in advance!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi, I have had a quick look to see what I could find.
The steering angle sensor is connected to the ABS module. All information on steering angle I could get is below. There are tons of instructions and actions to follow depending on the fault code being logged, and as you say DSC and ABS is affected, I am presuming you will have some.
Anyway, here you go.

CHECK 1
-------
If the steering angle sensor has failed or is not connected you will get the following:
'DSC NOT AVAILABLE' will be displayed if the ABS module detects a steering angle sensor fault. The amber warning indicator will illuminate until the fault is rectified.

CHECK 2
-------
If you don't get the error on the IC then you need to read for any fault codes stored. There are quite a few, so if you do have a fault code once scanned then let us know and I'll look it up.

CHECK 3
-------
Ensure fuse F5 is OK

F5.png

LOCATIONS OF COMPONENTS
-----------------------
The steering angle sensor measures the steering wheel angle and the rate of change of the steering wheel angle. These measurements are received by the ABS module and broadcast on the HS CAN bus for use by other systems. The steering angle sensor is mounted on the steering column upper shroud mounting bracket, immediately behind the multifunction switches, and is secured by two screws. A fly lead connects the sensor to the passenger compartment wiring harness via a four pin multiplug. The sensor is housed in a 'U' shaped plastic casing and contains two offset LED (Light Emitting Diode) facing two detectors. An encoder ring is mounted on the inner steering column shaft and intersects the LED's and detectors. The encoder ring contains 60 slots which break and restore the light beams between the LED's and the detectors as the steering wheel is rotated. The ABS module is able to determine the direction of rotation of the steering wheel by monitoring when the light beams change state. The LED's and detectors are mounted in such a way that only one beam will change state, either to broken or restored, at any one time.
The center (straight ahead) position of the steering wheel has to be learned by the ABS module every time the ignition is switched ON. This process begins when the vehicle starts to move. The steering angle sensor is unable to determine the center position so yaw rate and lateral acceleration inputs from the RCM and wheel speed signals are also used by the ABS module to help it perform this process. If extreme conditions are present, for example ice causing extreme wheel spin or understeer/oversteer, the ABS module may not be able to determine the center position of the steering wheel. In this situation 'DSC NOT AVAILABLE' will be displayed in the IC message center and the amber warning indicator will illuminate. The ABS control module will continue to try to learn the straight ahead position and will extinguish the warning once it has done so.

steer.PNG

No2=Steering Angle Sensor

steer2.PNG

ADDITIONAL WORDS
-----------------------------------
The ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system features a Bosch modulator, which is an integrated four-channel HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit) and Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) control module. The unit is installed in the brake hydraulic circuit between the brake master cylinder and the four brake calipers. The ABS module is connected to the HS (High Speed) CAN (Controller Area Network) bus, and actively interacts with other vehicle system control modules and associated sensors to receive and transmit current vehicle operating information. When required, the ABS module will actively intervene and operate the HCU during braking or vehicle maneuvers to correct the vehicle attitude, stability, traction or speed. During incidents of vehicle correction, the ABS module may also request the ECM (Engine Control Module) to control engine power in order to further stabilize and correct the vehicle. To provide full system functionality, the ABS and DSC system comprise the following components:
- DSC switch.
- Four wheel speed sensors.
- Steering angle sensor.
- Yaw rate and lateral acceleration sensor, located in the RCM (Restraints Control Module).
- Brake Pedal switch.
- Instrument Cluster indicator lamps.
- Integrated ABS control module and HCU.

The ABS provides the following brake functions that are designed to assist the vehicle or aid the driver:
- ABS.
- DSC (Dynamic Stability Control), including TracDSC.
- CBC (Corner Brake Control).
- EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution).
- ETC (Electronic Traction Control).
- EBA (Emergency Brake Assist).
- EDC (Engine Drag-torque Control).
- Understeer control.
- Electronic Emergency Brake Prefill.
- Brake disc wiping. (Vehicles without Carbon Ceramic Brakes)
- Electronic Brake Prefill. (Carbon Ceramic Brakes equipped vehicles only)
- Brake fluid temperature warning. (Carbon Ceramic Brakes equipped vehicles only)
- Brake Disc Wear Prediction. (Carbon Ceramic Brakes equipped vehicles only)
- TVB (Torque Vectoring by Braking).

wiring.PNG

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post