Windscreen washer problem

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Thanks guys.

Because the headlamp wash isn't working at all (or attempting to) after trying several times (wasn't sure how many but tried 6, 10, etc) I've called Jaguar Assist.
They're on their way out. Will let you know what the problem was when (if!) it's fixed.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Jaguar Assist have now just called back and said it's not something they can fix, have to book it into the dealer.

FFS
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

Derivative wrote: ↑Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:32 pm The windscreen washers have stopped working.

I can hear the pump trying to do its thing but nothing's coming out of the jets.
I've checked the jets and pipes back to the connectors just under the bonnet and they're clear.
Plenty of fluid in the resevoir.

Working on the basis there's some blockage somewhere, does anyone know where the pump is located (try and ascertain if the blockage is before or after the pump).
Or if anyone has a schematic for the washer system?

Thanks
Derivative

I had this exact problem a couple of months ago. It was fixed under the approved warranty with no quibble by jaguar main dealer (Westover jaguar Poole). The F-TYPE has 2 washer reservoirs, the large one at the rear ( where you fill the system) with a pump, and a smaller one at the front (behind drivers side wheel arch fender) with 2 pumps (1 for the windscreen washers and 1 for the headlights), and a FLUID LEVEL SENSOR. When you press the washer button the windscreen washer pump (and the headlight washer pump, every 4th press, if lights switched on) supply the fluid to the jets from the front reservoir. When the fluid is low in the front reservoir the fluid level sensor activates the rear pump to top up the front reservoir.
The problem was solved by replacing the front reservoir FLUID LEVEL SENSOR.

Keith
Last edited by ninetails on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Does anyone else get the impression that these things are overcomplicated?
You'll be suggesting there's a vacuum pump that's there to quieten the exhaust next πŸ™„
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

ninetails wrote: ↑Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:07 pm
Derivative wrote: ↑Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:32 pm The windscreen washers have stopped working.

I can hear the pump trying to do its thing but nothing's coming out of the jets.
I've checked the jets and pipes back to the connectors just under the bonnet and they're clear.
Plenty of fluid in the resevoir.

Working on the basis there's some blockage somewhere, does anyone know where the pump is located (try and ascertain if the blockage is before or after the pump).
Or if anyone has a schematic for the washer system?

Thanks
Derivative

I had this exact problem a couple of months ago. It was fixed under the approved warranty with no quibble by jaguar main dealer (Westover jaguar Poole). The F-TYPE has 2 washer reservoirs, the large one at the rear ( where you fill the system) with a pump, and a smaller one at the front (behind drivers side wheel arch fender) with 2 pumps (1 for the windscreen washers and 1 for the headlights), and a FLUID LEVEL SENSOR. When you press the washer button the windscreen washer pump (and the headlight washer pump, every 4th press, if lights switched on) supply the fluid to the jets from the front reservoir. When the fluid is low in the front reservoir the fluid level sensor activates the rear pump to top up the front reservoir.
The problem was solved by replacing the front reservoir FLUID LEVEL SENSOR.

Keith
Thanks Keith,

That would explain the slightly confused conversation when booking it in for the work.
The receptionist mentioned separate reservoirs (one in the front and one in the back).
I replied I was only aware of one in the boot that was full and if there was a separate one (assuming for the headlamps) I wasn't aware of it and it wasn't obvious!
She then said, 'Oh perhaps I'm confusing it with the XF', and so I didn't think anymore of it.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Aitch wrote: ↑Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 pm Does anyone else get the impression that these things are overcomplicated?
You'll be suggesting there's a vacuum pump that's there to quieten the exhaust next πŸ™„
Unfortunately, yes.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Derivative wrote: ↑Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Aitch wrote: ↑Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 pm Does anyone else get the impression that these things are overcomplicated?
Unfortunately, yes.
Not really

If you want to keep weight distribution balanced then put the heavy water tank at the rear. Alternative is a small tank at the front then there would be complaints about filling 2 tanks or it being so small
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Does the coupe have 2 tanks ? as I have one in the rear with the blue filling cap when I open the tail gate ?

regards ... will have to check topix
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

cj10jeeper wrote: ↑Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:57 am
Unfortunately, yes.
Not really

If you want to keep weight distribution balanced then put the heavy water tank at the rear. Alternative is a small tank at the front then there would be complaints about filling 2 tanks or it being so small
That's a lot of overthinking to balance an already lardy tourer. Could that be why the rear wheels are heavier than the fronts? Tanks with pumps, feeding other tanks with pumps, for balance? Oh Please! What difference will 5Kgs of water make among 1750 (ish)?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Aitch wrote: ↑Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am
cj10jeeper wrote: ↑Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:57 am

Unfortunately, yes.
Not really

That's a lot of overthinking to balance an already lardy tourer. Could that be why the rear wheels are heavier than the fronts? Tanks with pumps, feeding other tanks with pumps, for balance? Oh Please! What difference will 5Kgs of water make among 1750 (ish)?
Probably nearer10kg of water and tank that makes an effective 20Kg front to rear movement Same is done with batteries with big cable rear to front,
Despite overall weight the F type manages 52/48 Front/Rear so pretty close
Quoted from Autocar on 2.0l showing same as V6S
Even though the test car indicated the same 52/48 front-to-rear weight distribution on MIRA’s scales as both the V8 S convertible we tested in 2013 and the V6 S coupΓ© we tested in 2014,..

If you could fit it in the front wheel arch like the XF then you still need 2 pumps and 2 sensors so no less complicated aside 2m of plastic pipe

We'd best agree to didagree on this one
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post