Overheating engine

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 pm I'm sure it could if you had the time, systems and ability to collate it all. The process I used involved a single day access in which they downloaded and catalogued an entire pdf manual for me
To do it alone would have taken weeks
Alternative would be to sign up each time I wanted access or perhaps a longer subscription
I see, thank you. I used Kdes' link and downloaded the V6 Manual so that should cover a big chunk of problems. Maybe fill in the gaps with a short subscription as and if necessary. I also already have the manual for the V8 engine. Fingers crossed none of it will be needed.

Tel

Post by Tel »

Off topic - I did my own manual, I can vouch for the endless hours of work I put in not only converting to .pdf's, but also maintaining the directory structures and order. a right PITA, but I wanted the manual before I had the car and couldn't wait!
$60, let someone else do the donkey work;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

C10Jeeper

Please can you tell me the company to contact. I would be keen to get an exact workshop manual for mine.

Thanks
Andrew
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

I am not surprised the road side assist chap would have any chance with the cooling fan fix .. long gone are the days of a simple fuse and relay and dc motor fan assembly

There are 2 types of fans 850w for hot climates (100amp fuse Frm01) and a 500w fan (70amp fuse Frm01b)

There are 3 connectors for the fan - V-Batt / Ignition supply / PWM

In the Junction box engine right side there is a relay FLR04 that feeds 2 fuses - FLF08 10amps and FLF14 10amps

FLF14 - feeds the coolant pump for the supercharger rads
FLF08 - feeds the cooling fan (this only gives a ignition supply)

The PWM signal comes from the main ECM module .. basically the cooling fan has its own built in variable speed drive electronics to control the fan (hence why they are very expensive to purchase)

The PWM (pulse width modulation) is a speed command signal (zero speed to max speed) that can control the cooling fan rotation speed

My money would go on the fan module being defective which is built into the fan assembly .. there must be a diagnostic mode to make the fans run but probably would need some Jaguar test gear for this ? even if you removed the relay and shorted the power contacts we don't know if a PWM signal is being generated ?

Also the fan control module should generate some DTC codes

hope this helps

regards
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

Cheers for all the help guys, had a look in both engine compartment fuse boxes and as they looked different to the pictures given in previous posts I tested continuity of every fuse in there. All seemed ok so I'm guessing that you're right and it is the module at fault. Will ring Jag tomorrow to get it booked in and will let you know.
Guess that extended warranty that I was unsure whether to take out will come in useful. :D
Thanks again
Darrell
Ebony Black V6S convertible
AdrianL

Post by AdrianL »

As a little side thought have you tried waterwetter , it works great I ran it in all my 911s .
Last edited by AdrianL on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019MY i4
Deleted User 1088

Hello

Now I have always wondered what this stuff is ?

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

So, quick update. Car is in the dealership today and they suspect a faulty temp sensor to be the culprit. New one on order will let me know if it worked.
As an aside, I have a 2.0d XE courtesy car which I quite like. Engine is a peach, much nicer and quicker than the one in my 520d daily drive. Might be tempted when the lease is up on the BMW.
Cheers
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

Picked car up today, it needed a complete fan pack in the end, which thankfully was all covered by the extended warranty.
Have to say that Marshall Peterborough were excellent through the whole process, will definitely be using them for any future work.
Deleted User 1088

Dazza67 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:02 pm Picked car up today, it needed a complete fan pack in the end, which thankfully was all covered by the extended warranty.
Have to say that Marshall Peterborough were excellent through the whole process, will definitely be using them for any future work.
Hello exactly what thought ... god knows why they make a fan so complicated is beyond me ?

could have used a couple of power resistors and some different winding's :roll:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post