Shaking steering wheel while braking? Need help!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Jlsthlm wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 pm Would I not feel such a misalignment also when driving?
Yes. Most issues covered if it drives straight. What you could try is to find a DESERTED road, no other traffic at all.

The road should be flat as a sheet of ice [ not as slippery though..] . Speed up to 50mph and if its SAFE you hold your
hands free of the steeringwheel, ready to grap it if required. Then MILDLY brake ...

If the car goes straight , does not 'pull' to the right/left, then also most bushing issues are not relevant also.

You can do the same, MILD acceleration and the cars wonders off, also a tell-tale sign.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 am
Jlsthlm wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 pm Would I not feel such a misalignment also when driving?
The road should be flat as a sheet of ice [ not as slippery though..] . Speed up to 50mph and if its SAFE you hold your
hands free of the steeringwheel, ready to grap it if required. Then MILDLY brake ...

If the car goes straight , does not 'pull' to the right/left, then also most bushing issues are not relevant also.

You can do the same, MILD acceleration and the cars wonders off, also a tell-tale sign.
RE "bush issues" noted above and my previous post. My friends car would brake and accelerate "mildly" without issue. It was only when you applied brake firmly/hard that the steering wheel would wobble/shudder.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

The rate of braking/accelrating and yes/no wobble all helps a mechanic to trace the cause. If you have tried this all and tell him/her,
big chance they can resolve it quickly.
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm The rate of braking/accelrating and yes/no wobble all helps a mechanic to trace the cause. If you have tried this all and tell him/her,
big chance they can resolve it quickly.
Thanks a lot for the help and direction! My Jag is at the workshop for another job right now, so can't test it immediately but I will as soon as I get it back. My intuitive feeling is that the car is stable - I was a couple of times doing over 300 km/ h on the meter on the Autobahn never feeling that the car was anything but solid. Never tried the hands off acceleration/ braking though so will verify as soon as I can.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Jlsthlm wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm I was a couple of times doing over 300 km/ h on the meter on the Autobahn never feeling that the car was anything but solid. Never tried the hands off acceleration/ braking though so will verify as soon as I can.
.. not at 300 please... :shock:
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 pm
Jlsthlm wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm I was a couple of times doing over 300 km/ h on the meter on the Autobahn never feeling that the car was anything but solid. Never tried the hands off acceleration/ braking though so will verify as soon as I can.
.. not at 300 please... :shock:
Haha no worries, back in Sweden now. No free speed highways here. :lol:
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi,

I trust this is resolved but if not, one further consideration is a physical fitment test .... a close friend of mine popped round yesterday after speaking in the week to say his car (mid-engine 2 seater) had developed what you have been describing post collecting the car from its service. He wanted to have a look at the car as he was due into the dealer on Monday.

We checked the fronts and all was well to touch and to the eye. On checking the OSR (UK) we found the issue. A outer pad was not properly located, so whilst visually all looked ok, when pushing the pad it moved, only slightly, within the mount. He took pictures and video, we jacked the car and correctly fitted the pad and off he went. 5 mins later he returned but the wobble had not. He will doubtless have an interesting discussion on Monday.

Offered for your consideration ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Mine has started doing this. I've just got back from Germany for 10 days - (oooh autobahns!) and the the car shimmy's slightly under braking. Nothing too bad, but i suspect the calipers need removing and getting a proper clean, maybe one is sticking... I'm going to replace the pads too just in case.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post