Shaking steering wheel while braking? Need help!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm You wouldn’t normally rebalance wheels and tyres when changing disks, unless your doing on car wheel balancing
You would if the discs were warped. that generates uneven wear of the tread, hence unbalance the wheels.. ..rebalance required.
Agreed in that part, but warped disks are actually rater than hens teeth.
There’s a lot of good research on the web about how almost all issues of disks relate to pad deposits, worn suspension, alignment, caliper pistons, etc. and it’s the first item that mechanics just swap out as easy money.
This thread has all those hallmarks if hundreds if £’s of disk and pads and clearly they were not required
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:52 pm This thread has all those hallmarks if hundreds if £’s of disk and pads and clearly they were not required
Exactly. Thats why I ask the basic questions, milage, much cornering etc etc to know what's relevant.
Just the two clips don't tell us more then that it judders at the wheel. :roll:

But I don't expect it to be alignment if it only occurs after heating up the brakes [ or the tires ] ; both could be causing it, or not..

All the bushings etc don't make a difference with hot/cold brakes too. But it helps to know.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 am Jonas,

- how old is your car ;
- whats your odometer saying [ how many kms did it ride sofar];
- dou you drive it in winter [ salt ];

High km's or old age , or many, many bends, gives lead to bushings and rubbers.
But as it seems to be related to the temperature of the brakes, I guess if its run in winter or did many km's,
the pistons of the brake calipers are oval.

Erosion from simple wear or corrosion from salts..
My car is MY 2015.
Odometer now at ~40 000 kms.
Never driven in winter/ salt during my ownership - though I bought it used so no idea what the previous owner did.

Thanks for the tip on the caliper pistons. I'll check that out.

/Jonas
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

davidd wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm When were your wheels last balanced?
I forgot to mention that in the original post, but I also bought new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires a month ago, which was just prior to changing pads and discs. I guess that's when the wheels last got balanced unless the workshop did it when changing the brakes.
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Senninha wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm Hi,

One assumes you put the new pads and discs through an appropriate bedding in process and several heat cycles before heading off for your driving experience ... if yes, you can cross disc warp off the potential list ...

If Jag fitted them then one would hope they cleaned the hubs before mounting the new discs ... a small amount of debris could result in the feeling you describe, particular when used in anger and heated up ....

Are they pulling up evenly? If they are out of balance L to R then again this could create the experience you describe ....

Food for thought and hope you resolve soon and safely ...
Honestly, I did not put it through an "appropriate bedding in process". I had no clue I was supposed to. But considering I had the problem before changing pads and discs that shouldn't be the cause, right?

I notice no L-R imbalance.
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

philmayfield wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:12 pm I had a similar shake but it was cured when the tracking was set up properly.
Sorry for sounding remarkably ignorant, but what does "tracking set up properly" mean? :)
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

simpleR wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 pm My friend has an M3 E46 which had the same. Brakes swapped and same issue. Brakes straight and true. Worn suspension bushes was the cause of their steering wheel wobble.
Thanks, I'll add that to the list of potential causes!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Jlsthlm wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm
philmayfield wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:12 pm I had a similar shake but it was cured when the tracking was set up properly.
Sorry for sounding remarkably ignorant, but what does "tracking set up properly" mean? :)
The 'tracking' means the proper alignment of the wheels : they should be 'in line' , meaning when you drive straight all four wheels
rotate in parallel plains. So not 3 going east and one west, to extremely exxagurate the principle. Also there are camber and caster,
toe in / toe out , all to do with wheel 'flight' so that under driving conditions the movements of the wheels don't influence your
course/direction .. There are books full of this stuff, too much to mention here.. :ugeek:

I guess wikipedia has a chapter on it..

This influences wear of tyres. direction stability on braking and accelerating [ more so for front wheel drive cars ].
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm
Jlsthlm wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm
The 'tracking' means the proper alignment of the wheels : they should be 'in line' , meaning when you drive straight all four wheels
rotate in parallel plains. So not 3 going east and one west, to extremely exxagurate the principle. Also there are camber and caster,
toe in / toe out , all to do with wheel 'flight' so that under driving conditions the movements of the wheels don't influence your
course/direction .. There are books full of this stuff, too much to mention here.. :ugeek:

I guess wikipedia has a chapter on it..

This influences wear of tyres. direction stability on braking and accelerating [ more so for front wheel drive cars ].
Hmm, OK, but the car feels 100 % stable also in very high (Autobahn) speeds, when I'm not braking. Would I not feel such a misalignment also when driving?

Edit: Thanks for the explanation by the way. :)
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

+1 for worn suspension bush somewhere. Had similar on my previous car (not F-type). Fine in all other aspects except when braking and then could feel a juddering through the steering wheel.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post